Contribute to managing and conserving New Zealand’s famous pristine environment, learning practical conservation techniques and making a genuine difference to the ecosystem. Environmental science interns can also complete research projects in laboratories, informing policies and modern approaches to environmental protection.
This is an in-country internship, with accommodation included.
New Zealand is widely considered as one of the most naturally beautiful countries in the world. Environmental scientists and advocates play a vital role in maintaining and regenerating New Zealand’s natural ecosystems, tackling the anthropological impact of development and conducting important research to preserve fragile species and environmental ecosystems.
As an Environmental Science intern, there is broad scope for you to learn about specific areas of conservation that you are interested in. Internships are personalized to suit your goals, skills and experience. Each placement is assigned according to your profile and enables you to gain highly relevant career experience, while contributing to New Zealand’s environment in a tangible way. Interns can be placed in a range of public and private organizations, including New Zealand’s Department of Conservation, environmental NGOs and eco-tourism companies.
Internships may be related to campaigning against environmental degradation, contributing to long-term research programs, conducting laboratory analysis, and more. You’ll be collaborating with experienced local environmental scientists and conservationists to learn all about what goes into environmental protection. General tasks within the field of Environmental Science internships can include, but are not limited to:
- Working in a range of natural environments to collect data
- Data analysis and reporting
- Collaborating on research projects
- Assisting in laboratory work
- Engaging with local communities to address environmental issues and share knowledge
Interns wanting to gain experience within a specific area of environmental science should include details in your application. Preferences are accommodated wherever possible, but are subject to availability.
In your spare time, you’ll be able to explore the cosmopolitan, vibrant city of Auckland. New Zealand is renowned for adventure tourism and incredible environmental diversity - where else could you go surfing and skiing in one day?! Interns with a passion for the environment shouldn’t come to New Zealand without planning to explore the amazing natural landscapes - from glaciers and mountains, to stunning lakes, beaches, native bush and incredible geothermal attractions. From Auckland city, many regions are just a short flight away. Your weekends will be packed with adventure and discovery like never before!
This internship is conducted in English.
Environmental Science interns learn from a qualified and experienced supervisor, and can be involved in:
- Conducting field tasks to conserve natural environments
- Contributing to data collection
- Carrying out data analysis and compiling reports
- Laboratory work
- Preparing and hosting community engagement sessions to teach locals conservation techniques and environmental issues
Professional development opportunities:
- Learn about conservation issues and how to address them
- Practice skills and techniques in environmental research
- Gain understanding in laboratory research techniques
- Learn how to prepare and present reports based on your research -Gain practical skills and boost your employability, with guidance from Intern Abroad HQ’s Experiential Learning Curriculum to support your learning and cultural intelligence.
- Monday to Friday, 9am - 5pm
- Gain hands-on experience learning about conservation techniques in a stunning natural environment
- Contribute to conservation in New Zealand, learning from experienced local environmental scientists
- Enjoy the world famous tourist adventures on offer in New Zealand
Types of host organizations:
- Department of Conservation
- Environmental NGOs
- Eco-tourism companies
Keen to get started?
Taking the first step is easy! It is free to apply and takes just 5 minutes.Submit an application
It’s free to apply for this internship. Once we have reviewed your suitability and accepted you onto this program, you’ll need to pay a deposit of US$449 to confirm your place. The remaining balance of your Program Fee (less your initial US$449 deposit payment) will be due no less than 60 days before your internship start date.
|Internship Duration||Program Fee (USD)|
|8 weeks||8 weeks||$3,199|
|10 weeks||10 weeks||$3,639|
|12 weeks||12 weeks||$4,029|
|16 weeks||16 weeks||$4,909|
|20 weeks||20 weeks||$5,689|
|24 weeks||24 weeks||$6,469|
It is important to note that internships in Auckland do not include meals and interns should budget to cover this Independently. Kitchen facilities are provided in all accommodation for independent meal preparation. A NZ$700 accommodation security deposit must be paid in-country but this is fully refundable, subject to inspection of the accommodation upon departure and confirmation that there have been no damages.