If you’re passionate about writing and want to motivate, empower, educate, and connect people, then this internship is for you. This internship in Journalism & Public Relations offers diverse placements that are customized to suit your interest and abilities, and include writing articles, conducting investigations and contributing to social media campaigns for a range of print and online publications.
This is an in-country internship, with accommodation provided. Click here to view a remote Journalism & Media internship that you can undertake from home.
This Journalism and Public Relations internship program in Cape Town immerses interns in a world of professional writing, advanced social media research, and current events. You’ll develop, refine, and grow your skill set while enjoying all the beauty, fun, and diversity that Cape Town has to offer.
This internship offers highly diverse and engaging placement opportunities, including roles with magazines and newspapers spanning news, sport, fashion, music and science. This is an internship that is designed to suit you. With a wide range of placements available, your specific internship will be crafted to take into consideration your own skills and interests so that you’ll gain experience most suited to your career ambitions.
Journalism interns in Cape Town can expect to:
- Research background information for articles and stories
- Write articles for print and/or digital publications on topics relevant to your placement organization
- Assist with editing
- Assist with social media campaigns and content creation
- Assist with ongoing content updates for websites and social media accounts
During your spare time in Cape Town, you’ll be able to enjoy the vibrant attractions of the city. There are excellent historical sites to visit, including the District Six Museum, Robben Island, the Old Biscuit Mill and the Zeitz Museum of Contemporary Art Africa. Gaining insight into the history of the city and country can provide context and appreciation, to foster a well-rounded journalistic perspective. You can also expand your horizons - literally! - from the beautiful mountain tops surrounding the city. From atop the peaks of Table Mountain, Signal Hill, or Lion’s Head, there are fantastic vistas of the city to discover.
This internship is conducted in English.
Journalism & Public Relations interns learn from a qualified and experienced supervisor, and can be involved in:
- Researching stories
- Writing articles for publications
- Contributing to social media campaigns
Professional development opportunities:
- Develop your skills in identifying story ideas and opportunities
- Build your writing ability contributing stories relevant to your host placement
- Develop your research skills for stories and articles
- Gain understanding about how to engage audiences through your writing
- Gain practical skills and boost your employability, with guidance from Intern Abroad HQ’s Experiential Learning Curriculum to support your learning and cultural intelligence.
- Monday to Friday, 9am - 5pm
- Contribute articles and stories to real publications, building your portfolio of work and developing your writing skills
- Gain practical understanding of how newsrooms and public relations campaigns are run
- Enjoy spare time exploring the unique and eclectic city of Cape Town, and wider South Africa
Types of host organizations:
- Media publications
- PR agencies
Keen to get started?
Taking the first step is easy! It is free to apply and takes just 5 minutes.Submit an application
It’s free to apply for this internship. Once we have reviewed your suitability and accepted you onto this program, you’ll need to pay a deposit of US$449 to confirm your place. The remaining balance of your Program Fee (less your initial US$449 deposit payment) will be due no less than 60 days before your internship start date.
|Internship Duration||Program Fee (USD)|
|2 weeks||2 weeks||$1,418|
|3 weeks||3 weeks||$1,556|
|4 weeks||4 weeks||$1,694|
|5 weeks||5 weeks||$1,832|
|6 weeks||6 weeks||$1,970|
|8 weeks||8 weeks||$2,246|
|10 weeks||10 weeks||$2,729|
|12 weeks||12 weeks||$3,005|
|16 weeks||16 weeks||$3,557|
|20 weeks||20 weeks||$4,109|
|24 weeks||24 weeks||$4,661|