Our Intern Abroad HQ team wants to make it easy to organize your internship program and travel experience. We’ve curated a list of trusted, affordable providers that you may access below for excellent service.
While scholarships may be available through various institutions at certain times of the year, since our programs have such flexible start dates and durations, we encourage you to consider using a professional fundraising service for financial support. Intern Abroad HQ has partnered with Fund & Seek to make this easy. You can get this kicked off promptly by creating a profile page, setting your fundraising goal, and telling your story. Let people know what you’re doing, when, where, and don’t forget to outline the “why” so people feel encouraged to support your journey. Once this is done, make sure to utilize your own social media to share your fundraising page and spread the word. While professional fundraising sites can be incredibly successful, your effort won’t flourish if it’s not actively promoted. Once you’re registered for your internship program, you’re welcome to request a verification letter from us, which may be of assistance if you require supporting documentation to legitimize your fundraising efforts.
If you’ve already got a destination in mind, or at least narrowed down your top picks, researching the cost of flights will help define your overall budget and finalize your decision about where to base your internship.
Once you’ve submitted an application for the destination of your choice, and then registered to confirm your spot on the internship program, then it’s an appropriate time to book your flights. It is important you are registered (paid your internship registration fee) before you request flight quotes, so you have your dates and location confirmed.
You can request a flight itinerary quote from the STA team via the STA Flight Booking Form. Once you have completed the form, you should receive an email quote within 24 hours. Note that if you have an International Student I.D. Card, it may help you secure a discounted rate.
Benefits of booking your flights with STA Travel:
- One Stop Shop for Travel - A dedicated travel team, it’s easy to manage and coordinate your travel plans alongside your Intern Abroad HQ program.
- Exclusive Low Airfares - Unique airline partnerships give you access to the lowest fares.
- Exclusive Flexible Airfares - You can change your plans at minimal cost and effort.
- Over 30 Years Experience - Experience to take you to the most exciting places for less.
- Well-Traveled, Passionate Staff - A team of travel experts trained to give you the best advice and offer firsthand experience.
- Global Travel Help - With hundreds of stores in over 60 countries worldwide there is an essential back up for all travelers on the move.
Travel insurance is a compulsory requirement for all of our interns. Safety is a top priority for us and we do our utmost to ensure that you’ll have a wonderful time abroad. Part of this strategy involves making sure that you’re in a position to receive assistance to overcome any unexpected setbacks or inconveniences.
Your travel insurance policy should include coverage for events such as medical emergencies, travel disruptions, personal property that is lost or damaged whilst traveling, and last-minute trip cancellation (due to unforeseeable events, that are out of your control). While many people already have private health insurance, specific travel insurance policies are necessary to supplement this, so that you’ll have more comprehensive security and peace of mind abroad.
To point you in the right direction, we’ve secured a partnership with World Nomads, as they offer a number of different Travel Insurance options. They’re a flexible provider, recommended by Lonely Planet, and they’re perfect for independent travelers. Most importantly, all of our interns that take out a World Nomads insurance policy can access their Worldwide 24/7 Emergency Assistance Team. You’ll receive round-the-clock support from the crew that are hosting you on your program, but your travel insurance policy adds an imperative layer of international support.
Global Travel Academy
To up-skill before your internship program (and add extra “oomph” to your resume!) check out the Global Travel Academy. Intern Abroad HQ recommends their affordable online courses, which are all expertly designed to help you travel abroad safely and responsibly. The Certificate in International Volunteering covers topics that are directly applicable to an internship abroad and they will also aid your reflection journaling. For example, you can expect to receive best practice guidance on:
- Understanding different cultures
- Gaining trust and building relationships
- Effective communication techniques
- Understanding your impact
If you’re focused on developing your skill-set as an educator, or simply interested in diversifying your talents, we recommend an interactive CCELT Online TEFL Certification Course. Whether you utilize the certification to teach English in your own country or to others abroad, the training offers tools and techniques over a 100-hour program. Ensuring that you’re prepared and confident to teach, mentor, or provide classroom assistance will not only benefit you, but will also positively impact on the learning environment of your students. Upon completion, you’ll have earned experience in planning, designing, and adapting diverse language activities and materials.
What you need to know:
- Intern Abroad HQ has secured a discounted rate for individuals of US$399.
- No previous teaching experience or training is required.
- You can start at any time and work through the online course at your own pace.
- You don’t have to be registered for an internship program to do the course.
- In order to enroll, you need to have completed your high school diploma.
- You don’t have to be a native English speaker, but your fluency of the English language must be at a native-speaker level.
- There is no practical teaching component – the course is focused on developing skills that will help you adapt to different teaching and learning environments.
- Review involves guided self-assessment, homework assignments and test performances.
- You can sign up for the CCELT Online TEFL Certification Course anytime and you’ll only pay the discounted Intern Abroad HQ rate.