Last updated: December 1st, 2021
Intern Abroad HQ has in-country programs abroad running in 12 of our 14 destinations, with interns starting every week
Internship abroad programs have reopened in countries that are accepting international visitors and where local government advice and local health guidelines deem it safe to do so. If you apply now, you can begin planning your internship abroad in a dream destination, based on the schedule that works best for you.
You can use our handy travel tool to check the entry requirements for the country you want to travel to.
Not able to go abroad? All of our remote internships are fully operating and remain unaffected by Covid-19 restrictions. These are an excellent option for gaining international experience as they can be completed from home alongside other commitments like a job or studying. Our virtual internship programs enable you to make an impact on real world projects with international organizations without needing to travel abroad.
- Which internship abroad programs are available?
- See the entry requirements for the country you’re traveling to
- Flexible booking policy
- Health & safety measures
- Travel insurance for Covid-19
- Remote internship opportunities
In-country internship programs are currently operating and hosting interns in these destinations:
- Czech Republic – internship programs in business, marketing, design, IT and education
Greece – medical internships for pre-med, pre-dentistry, physiotherapy and occupational therapy students, plus internships in graphic design, marketing, viticulture, agriculture, marine science and environmental conservation
- Ireland – internships available in marketing, tourism & hospitality, sales & marketing and education
- Italy – large variety of internship placements available in agriculture, conservation, architecture, law, marketing, social work and more
- Spain – a wide range of internships available in finance, business administration, engineering, law, graphic design, marketing & communications, medical & healthcare, education and more
- South Africa - internship programs across a diverse range of career fields, including human rights law, marketing, healthcare, tourism, marine biology and wildlife reserve management
- Tanzania – a range of medical internships for healthcare students and professionals, teaching placements for interns with a passion for education, plus internships in hospitality and social work
- Zanzibar – internships in medical, psychology & social work and tourism
Central & South America:
- Costa Rica – internship abroad programs in conservation, engineering, marketing, healthcare, veterinary, education and more
- Guatemala- intern in fields such as medical, microfinance, veterinary, tourism and coffee production
- Peru- internship programs in medical, marketing, veterinary, dentistry, psychology, education and more
Asia & Pacific:
- New Zealand – a wide variety of internship programs within business, design, environmental science, event management, IT, marketing, hospitality and more (due to border restrictions, internship abroad programs are currently open only for individuals already in New Zealand and Australia)
Please note that all interns traveling abroad must be tested for Covid-19 within 72 hours prior to travel, where this is possible in their locality, as part of our additional health and safety requirements.
Our remote internship programs, which allow you to intern virtually and collaborate online with your host organization, continue to operate as normal in all countries and remain unaffected by Covid-19 travel restrictions.
Find out what the entry requirements are for the country you’re traveling to
Use our handy travel tool below to discover what the entry requirements are based on your country of residence and passport:
Flexible booking policy: Make free changes to your booking later
We make it easy to change your travel plans should you need to – or if you simply change your mind! You can make free changes to your start date, internship program or destination up to 60 days before your start date.
Our flexible booking policy means that once you’ve paid your deposit, your money is protected. Plus, you don’t need to pay your Program Fee until 60 days before your start date.
If you are unwilling or unable to travel abroad, take a look at our remote internship programs that can be completed virtually from home or wherever you are in the world.
Health and safety measures: How we’re keeping interns safe
Since long before Covid-19 began to spread, Intern Abroad HQ has followed industry-leading procedures to ensure the safety of our internship participants. In addition to our standard safety processes, all of our local program teams will be following enhanced procedures we have developed to minimize risks from Covid-19. These include:
All interns tested for Covid-19 within 72 hours of travel
Health & safety information provided during orientation
Strict disinfecting standards at placements & accommodation
Greater physical distance between interns
- All interns must provide evidence of a negative Covid-19 test from within the last 72 hours on arrival.
- Interns receive information or how to minimize infection.
- Enhanced cleaning practices in accommodation and placements.
- Antibacterial spray/wipes available at all placements.
- Alcohol-based and sanitizers available at internship sites and program base.
- Interns asked to maintain a greater physical distance from one another.
- Symptomatic individuals will be isolated from others.
- Interns will be assisted if they need testing, advice and/or treatment.
Travel insurance for Covid-19: Protect yourself when you travel
Unlike many other companies, Intern Abroad HQ’s travel insurance partner, World Nomads, does not have an endemic or pandemic exclusion for policies purchased by U.S. residents, which means that you may make claims arising from the Covid-19 for the benefits specified in your policy. These benefits include emergency medical and trip interruption coverage for you personally or a travel companion who contracts the Covid-19 or goes under quarantine when traveling. If you unexpectedly catch Covid-19 at home before you leave for your trip, you may also be eligible for trip cancellation coverage, which represents compensation for any pre-paid non-refundable travel expenses such as flights, hotels, and excursions. Click here to review exactly what is covered by World Nomads’ policies in relation to Covid-19.
Coverage for non-U.S. residents varies and can be checked by clicking here.
Remote internships that can be completed from home
Not looking to travel right now? Intern Abroad HQ’s diverse range of remote internships provide a flexible, affordable and accessible alternative to intern abroad programs, which can be completed on your laptop. Choose from 70+ online internships across fields such as:
- Accounting & Finance
- Business & Start Ups
- Computer Science & IT
- Education & Youth Development
- Environmental & Marine Sciences
- Law & Human Rights
- Marketing & Communications
- Psychology & Social Work
Intern Abroad HQ’s virtual programs provide the unique opportunity to work on impactful projects within cutting-edge organizations around the globe. These placements are 100% customizable, so you can apply for your internship now and get stuck in just a few weeks later. With the freedom to choose your own hours, remote internships can be completed alongside your studies, job or even a vacation.
Will my intern abroad program be open this year?
We are making plans for reopening our overseas internships programs on a case-by-case basis, based on the latest travel advisories for each country, the status of local health risks, and any local government or border restrictions that might remain in place. Since we host interns from countries all over the world, our approach to opening programs is based entirely on local conditions and guidance from the relevant local authorities. Each intern should make their own assessment on whether they will be able to travel to participate in their program based on their own individual circumstances.
For a list of intern abroad programs that are already open for accepting in-country participants, please refer to the top of this page. As the situation in each country is changing constantly, we are not able to provide certainty around program availability until a few weeks before each intern’s start date.
We are proactively contacting all interns who are due to travel in the near future to advise on program availability. Please contact your Internship Manager or get in touch for up to date information on country-specific plans.
If you are due to travel from September onwards, our current advice is to hold off from changing or cancelling your travel until we have greater certainty over when our programs will begin operating again.
Will I be safe if I continue with my plans to intern abroad?
From the very start of the outbreak, our local teams implemented procedures across all our programs to ensure early detection of any cases, in accordance with the advice from local and international authorities. There were no reported cases of Covid-19 among any intern or staff member on any Intern Abroad HQ program before they closed. We will only reopen programs when we believe the local conditions provide a safe environment for our interns and we will implement enhanced procedures for monitoring the health of our interns and isolating, caring for, and reporting any cases, should they arise, will remain in place.
For obvious reasons, no intern should commence their travel if they are feeling unwell or believe they may have been exposed to the coronavirus. We should all take collective responsibility for minimizing the risk of further transmission of the virus.
Will my travel insurance cover me for Covid-19?
Sometimes luck just isn’t on your side and things can go wrong on any overseas trip. Your normal health insurance is unlikely to cover you for overseas expenses, which is why travel insurance is compulsory for all IAHQ interns.
We’ve partnered with World Nomads for many years because their policies provide comprehensive but affordable cover for most of the typical activities our interns get involved with while interning abroad. Unlike many other companies, World Nomads does not have an endemic or pandemic exclusion for policies purchased by U.S. residents, which means that you may make claims arising from the Covid-19 for the benefits specified in your policy. Click here to review exactly what is covered by World Nomads’ policies in relation to Covid-19.
Can I change my travel plans free of charge?
We’re offering greater flexibility for changes to travel dates and destinations during this period of uncertainty. As long as you reschedule your intern abroad program at least 60 days before your earliest registered start date, it’s free to change your start date, internship program or destination.
Our flexible booking policy means that once you’ve paid your deposit, your money is protected. If you have been accepted for an Intern Abroad HQ program but haven’t yet completed your registration, you can make changes to your trip free of charge at any time. This means you can select a different destination, internship project, or travel date and still continue with your plans.
Can I get a refund?
We have always provided refunds to any intern who is eligible for a refund under Intern Abroad HQ’s terms and conditions, and this has not changed since the current pandemic began.
What’s the best way of contacting Intern Abroad HQ?
IAHQ’s Internship Managers are available to answer any of your queries related to existing registrations or help with your planning for the future. You can get in touch with us by email to email@example.com, direct to your Internship Manager by email, or through our online enquiry form.