Dental internships in Peru offer the chance to assist practicing local dentists with general clinical checks. Interns receive guidance working through real patient treatments and gain practical, rounded dental work experience while also sharpening their Spanish language skills.
This is an in-country internship, with accommodation and meals provided.
Dentistry interns are placed in local clinics in schools around the city of Cusco, under the supervision of a local dentist. You’ll get the chance to observe and shadow your supervisor throughout general clinical checks for students who range in age from 3-20 years old.
As well as learning by watching your supervisor, interns can help to prepare materials and instruments, assist with surgeries and provide other contributions where it’s appropriate. Interns with more dental experience and greater Spanish language ability are more likely to take a hands-on role in this instance, always under the guidance and supervision of a professional.
Motivated dental interns can also help to organize campaigns in schools and kindergartens, hosting educational classes on oral hygiene. This can be arranged while you are in Peru if it’s something you’re interested in.
All interns who are not fluent Spanish speakers are strongly encouraged to take Spanish language lessons in addition to your internship program. You can request language lessons that focus on specific language for the medical and health field.
Cusco is world-renowned as the closest city to Machu Picchu, Peru’s most popular tourist attraction. It’s a city for adventurous travelers that enjoy the outdoors, particularly hiking and photography. There are plenty of world-class walks to explore in your spare time, and Cusco also offers a unique culturally immersive experience that’s perfect for outgoing interns!
Dental interns learn from a qualified and experienced supervisor, and can be involved in:
- Observing and shadowing local dentists during general clinics
- Preparing materials and instruments
- Assisting in dental surgeries
- Providing support in treatments
- Helping to educate local students about oral health
Professional development opportunities:
- Gain practical experience under the supervision of a fully qualified and licensed dentist
- Experience a wide range of dental treatments
- Practice and develop Spanish language proficiency within a professional setting
- Gain practical skills and boost your employability, with guidance from Intern Abroad HQ’s Experiential Learning Curriculum to support your learning and cultural intelligence.
- Monday to Friday, usually 4 hours a day
- Make a valuable contribution by assisting under-resourced clinics and dental facilities
- Get an insight in the Peruvian healthcare system while working closely together with a professional dentist
- Get a realistic insight into the Peruvian culture by treating and working together with local people
- Experience Cusco, one of the world’s most popular tourism cities
Types of host organizations:
- School-based dental clinics
Keen to get started?
Taking the first step is easy! It is free to apply and takes just 5 minutes.Submit an application
It’s free to apply for this internship. Once we have reviewed your suitability and accepted you onto this program, you’ll need to pay a deposit of US$449 to confirm your place. The remaining balance of your Program Fee (less your initial US$449 deposit payment) will be due no less than 60 days before your internship start date.
|Internship Duration||Program Fee (USD)|
Please note: The medical internship programs (Physician’s Assistant, Dentistry, Midwifery, Psychology and Physiotherapy) have an extra surcharge of US$15 per week, for extra supervision, materials and logistics involved. This amount will be included in the Program Fee quoted to you when you apply.