This remote Agricultural Research & Development internship is the perfect opportunity for those looking to learn about modern agriculture techniques, sustainable food production, biodiversity, spatial analysis of farmland, and the environmental impact of agriculture. Remote interns contribute to the development of agricultural management support systems for a changing climate, focusing on the effects of drought and water management.
This is a remote internship you can conduct from home. Click here to view our Environmental Science internships that you can do in-country, if you’d prefer to travel and intern abroad.
The agriculture industry is going through massive changes as it becomes more sustainable and reduces its impact on the environment. On this remote internship in European Agricultural Research & Development, you’ll gain a modern understanding of how to mitigate the effects of farming and be involved in developing new solutions and systems that can influence the future of the industry.
Remote interns are matched with SMEs, which can operate out of Greece, the Netherlands and Poland. These companies conduct research and development projects for farmland , helping to analyze land, provide feedback on farming techniques and implement modern farming solutions.
The host organizations deliver a wide range of services ranging from applied R&D for sustainable food production systems (e.g. agroecology, organic farming, integrated agriculture), the environmental impact of agriculture, vocational training, innovative support for producers, precision agriculture and smart farming services, using geospatial technology.
Your main tasks on this virtual agriculture internship will be related to spatial analysis, by means of Geographical Information Systems (GIS) and associated tools (QGIS or Google Earth Pro), as well as processing or analyzing raw biodiversity data.
You will also be able to conduct a systematic review of scientific literature on agricultural and environmental themes, with extraction of information and data. This means you’ll learn conclusions and lessons from the very latest studies, and contribute to developing an inventory of modern literature across a range of specific topics and disciplines.
If you’re interested in a career in farming or agriculture research, this internship will give you real-world experience in contemporary techniques such as GIS and landscape analysis, and spatial analysis of agricultural landscapes. You will gain experience on a hot agro-environmental topic, most wanted by related employers!
Remote interns will be in regular contact with your in-country supervisor via video and email.
This internship is conducted in English.
European Agricultural Research & Development interns learn from a qualified and experienced supervisor, and can be involved in:
- Researching heat stress, drought stress, and fertilizing experiments on maize, grass and wheat (including online field visits).
- Data exploration and processing (using proper satellite images and other data and/or knowledge).
- Conducting online interviews / questionnaires with farmers.
- Building / working with prediction algorithms, integrating remote sensing (satellite, drone) data, GIS data and expert knowledge.
- Forming an online knowledge portal and/or WiKi with proper interfaces to allow effective use by farmers and intended users.
- Agricultural drought monitoring (such as severity, location, frequency, and duration) using remote sensing (including drone) data and GIS-based information.
- Drought stress and heat stress pattern classification and feature extraction using satellite and drone images, crop calendar, soil and planting management.
- Satellite and drone data result integration and comparison.
- Assessment of results and discussion, recommendation and report generation.
Professional development opportunities:
- Learn how satellite remote sensing (including drone) images are used to map maize, grass, and wheat drought effects
- Gain professional experience with small/medium enterprises, demonstrating your ability to work remotely and independently
- Apply and integrate academic knowledge and skills gained from the program experience
- Gain practical skills and boost your employability, with guidance from Intern Abroad HQ’s Experiential Learning Curriculum to support your learning and cultural intelligence.
- As a remote intern, you’ll have the flexibility to work to a schedule that suits both you and your supervisor. Your schedule will need to accommodate online meetings with your supervisor when it’s required, so there will be times where you’ll need to be available during their office hours.
- Learn technical modern research techniques in specific areas of agriculture
- Understand the modern state of farming and sustainable agriculture
- Gain international work experience while interning remotely from home without having to travel
Types of host organizations:
- SMEs, operating out of Greece, Netherlands and Poland
- Agricultural Technical Consultancies
Keen to get started?
Taking the first step is easy! It is free to apply and takes just 5 minutes.Submit an application
It’s free to apply for this internship. Once we have reviewed your suitability and accepted you onto this program, you’ll need to pay a deposit of US$449 to confirm your place. The remaining balance of your Program Fee (less your initial US$449 deposit payment) will be due within 7 days of being assigned a placement.
|Internship Duration||Program Fee (USD)|