This is an ideal internship for vet students looking to gain hands-on veterinary experience, assisting practicing vets in Costa Rica as they work with local animals to provide a wide range of care and treatments.
Veterinary internships in Costa Rica are typically based around the town of San Ramon de Alajuela, where interns are placed in a vet clinic, helping local staff with all aspects of daily tasks.
Veterinary interns can assist vet doctors and technicians with medical procedures, feeding, bathing, brushing, obedience training, administering medicine, cleaning cages, and assisting with animal rehabilitation. Anything that’s routinely required of a vet during their day, interns can be there to experience.
Depending on each intern’s level of experience, there may also be scope to assist with vaccinations, surgeries, and diagnoses.
This internship program is ideal for animal lovers studying for an animal care qualification (or a related field) who wish to gain hands-on practical experience. Interns are required to provide academic records or proof of enrollment, and should include this information in your application.
Veterinarian interns learn from a qualified and experienced supervisor, and can be involved in:
- Veterinary medical procedures
- Bathing and brushing
- Obedience training
- Administering medicine
- Cleaning cages
- Animal rehabilitation
Professional development opportunities:
- Work with experienced veterinarians
- Interact with clients and learn how to assist them
- Learn about standardized procedures
- Learn about different medical products
- 8am to 4pm, Monday to Friday
- Experience daily life in a veterinary clinic
- Gain exposure to a range of animal treatments and care techniques
- Learn practical veterinary skills caring for animals
Types of host organizations:
- Veterinary clinics in Costa Rica
|Internship Duration||Program Fee (USD)|
- To convert these prices to your local currency visit the XE currency converter.
- All Intern Abroad programs attract a Registration Fee of US$299 in addition to the Program Fee.
- All payments attract a 5% transaction fee to cover international banking fees and currency charges. International wire transfer payments attract a minimum fee of US$75.
- * Terms and Conditions do apply
What extra costs will I have?
- Visa, flights, travel insurance (mandatory), vaccinations, criminal background check.
- Transfer back to the airport at conclusion of the program.
- Language lessons.
- Souvenirs + tourism/leisure activities during free time.
- Personal spending money to cover basic expenses such as drinks, snacks, laundry, and public transportation. Interns generally find US$50 per week to be sufficient.