Veterinary and Animal Care interns in Peru can assist vet clinics and dog shelters with general animal care and activities, helping with surgeries and treatments, and evaluating sick or injured animals. A perfect internship for animal lovers, working alongside experienced local staff in the beautiful city of Cusco.
Interns get the benefit of helping on multiple placements, doubling the learning experience and getting to see different animal care environments. Interns can help in both dog shelters and in vet clinics during the week.
In dog shelters, interns help local staff with all manner of care for abandoned dogs. The ultimate objective of the shelter is to help dogs to become happy, healthy and sociable, and able to be adopted into new homes. This can mean assisting with medical and recovery programs for sick or injured dogs, playing games, walking and washing the dogs or helping with shelter cleaning and maintenance. Time at the shelter requires compassion for animal care and the willingness to get dirty!
When interning at vet clinics, interns shadow qualified local vets, observing treatments with a range of animals and assisting where it’s appropriate. Interns can learn how to use medical instruments and develop recovery programs together with your supervisor. Duties will depend on the treatment requirements, but interns can assist with general consultations, injury rehabilitation, diagnoses, and surgeries. Interns wanting more hands-on veterinarian tasks must have relevant animal care training and experience.
Interns can also assist with health or sterilization campaigns, including helping with marketing and fundraising efforts that allow them to help as many animals as possible.
Interns don’t necessarily need to have a high level of animal care experience, since your duties will reflect your expertise. One of the most important attributes an intern can bring to this experience is a high level of passion and care for animals. Please state the details of any relevant prior experience on your application. You are required to have basic Spanish language skills.
Veterinary and Animal Care interns learn from a qualified and experienced supervisor, and can be involved in:
- Shadowing and learning from a qualified local vet
- Assisting in consultations, treatments, diagnoses or surgeries
- Animal rehabilitation
- Caring for dogs in a dog shelter
- Feeding, walking, bathing and playing with dogs
- Developing medical care and recovery programs for dogs
- Helping to organize and run health and sterilization campaigns in the community
Professional development opportunities:
- Gain experience working in a veterinary clinic, learning from a qualified vet
- Help with treatments and surgeries for a range of animals
- Gain experience working in a dog shelter for sick, injured and abandoned dogs
- Help to develop individual health plans for dogs with a range of social and physical issues
- Experience organizing and running veterinary outreach programs
- Practice and develop Spanish language proficiency within a professional setting
- Gain practical skills and boost your employability, with guidance from Intern Abroad HQ’s Experiential Learning Curriculum to support your learning and cultural intelligence.
- Monday - Friday, 4 hours per day
- Learn from experienced local vets working with a range of animals and treatments
- Help sick, injured and abandoned dogs to recover and be adopted into loving new homes
- Experience Cusco, one of the world’s most popular tourism cities
- Polish your Spanish language skills
Types of host organizations:
- Dog shelters
- Vet clinics
Keen to get started?
Taking the first step is easy! It is free to apply and takes just 5 minutes.Submit an application
It’s free to apply for this internship. Once we have reviewed your suitability and accepted you onto this program, you’ll need to pay a deposit of US$449 to confirm your place. The remaining balance of your Program Fee (less your initial US$449 deposit payment) will be due no less than 60 days before your internship start date.
|Internship Duration||Program Fee (USD)|
Please note: The medical internship programs (Physician’s Assistant, Dentistry, Midwifery, Psychology and Physiotherapy) have an extra surcharge of US$15 per week, for extra supervision, materials and logistics involved. This amount will be included in the Program Fee quoted to you when you apply.