If you have a passion for animal care, a Veterinary internship in Guatemala offers the opportunity to gain real-world experience assisting local vets. Interns can experience a range of treatments and procedures, helping to care for a wide range of domestic and farm animals.
This is an in-country internship, with accommodation and meals provided.
Veterinary internships are based around the stunning city of Antigua, where interns shadow and assist practicing veterinarians treating both domestic and farm animals. Interns get a real-world experience of the veterinary profession, learning from local professionals and carrying out tasks appropriate for your level of experience.
Interns can expect to assist with activities such as animal rehabilitation, providing emergency care, surgeries, and helping to diagnose animals. Interns can also assist with general animal care, such as feeding, bathing, brushing, helping with obedience training and administering medication.
Veterinary interns can also help on programs to help neglected street animals, or stray animals with injuries. Interns support local vets to pick up stray animals requiring assistance, helping to provide treatment, medication, care and neutering.
Veterinary interns learn from a qualified and experienced supervisor, and can be involved in:
- Animal treatment and rehabilitation
- Emergency care
- Assisting with surgeries
- General care
- Administering medications
Professional development opportunities:
- Work with veterinarians and animal care technicians
- Assist in various procedures
- Learn about different protocols for animal care
- Gain practical skills and boost your employability, with guidance from Intern Abroad HQ’s Experiential Learning Curriculum to support your learning and cultural intelligence
- Hone and practice your Spanish language skills
- Monday to Friday, 8am to 5pm
- Shadow and assist practicing veterinarians for a real-world experience
- Enable better care for animals in Guatemala
- Gain relevant work experience around the popular tourist city of Antigua
Types of host organizations:
- Veterinary clinics
Keen to get started?
Taking the first step is easy! It is free to apply and takes just 5 minutes.Submit an application
It’s free to apply for this internship. Once we have reviewed your suitability and accepted you onto this program, you’ll need to pay a deposit of US$449 to confirm your place. The remaining balance of your Program Fee (less your initial US$449 deposit payment) will be due no less than 60 days before your internship start date.
|Internship Duration||Program Fee (USD)|