Sustainable Tourism interns in Italy are based with sustainable tourism operators and associations. Interns help to develop engaging experiences for visitors, developing and implementing sustainable tourism initiatives, including tours and policies, to provide modern and ethical options for responsibly-minded visitors.
This is an in-country internship, with accommodation and meals provided.
Rome is home to some of the world’s most popular tourist attractions, such as the Colosseum, Sistine Chapel, Pantheon, Trevi Fountain, Vatican Museums, and so much more. This beautiful city is a global leader in tourism, and many popular tour operators and tourism companies are adapting to the global appetite for tourism activities to be environmentally and socially sustainable. As a Sustainable Tourism intern, you’ll help to design sustainable tours and tourism policies to enable enjoyable tourism experiences that are ethical and environmentally responsible.
As an intern in Rome, you’ll learn about modern sustainability and creatively collaborate with your placement to explore how ongoing improvements can be applied within the tourism industry. You’ll develop your understanding of the industry and gain insight into the challenges, while also focusing on innovative solutions that improve brand awareness and maximize sustainable practices.
Interns are placed with tourism companies or associations which are focused on contributing to the Italian tourism industry in a more sustainable and responsible manner. Your exact role is customized to suit your own skills and interests within the scope of sustainable tourism. Examples of internship activities can include:
- Conducting research and analysis on sustainable tourism
- Meeting tour providers and tourists, assisting with tours and trip planning
- Visiting and exploring potential new tours and attractions
- Meeting with new tourism providers
- Assisting during meetings with environmental protection associations
- Business administration and development (e.g. website maintenance, graphic design, marketing, social media maintenance, competitor research, assisting with budgeting and ticketing)
If you have specific skills or would like to focus your internship on a particular area, please include details in your application. Requests are accommodated wherever possible, but are subject to availability. Regardless of your exact role, you’ll be interning closely with experienced supervisors to gain hands-on experience.
It is important to note that internships in Rome include mandatory Italian language lessons, which are included within the minimum duration requirement of the internship. While your internship can be conducted in English, interns are encouraged to use the opportunity to practice your Italian skills where possible.
For beginners to the Italian language (levels A1 and A2), you’re required to complete a four-week Italian language course at an accredited language school in Rome before you start at your internship placement.
Interns with intermediate Italian will complete two weeks of language lessons, prior to commencing the placement. If you have intermediate language skills, please note that you may be asked to provide verification (such as a B1 or B2 level certificate).
Additional language lessons can be arranged in-country, for those who wish to continue classes.
There is a lot to do in your spare time while completing your internship in Italy! Rome is an absolutely fantastic city to explore. Having been inhabited for the last three millennia, it’s brimming with ancient history, including almost 300 fountains and nearly a thousand churches. Not to mention the amazing eateries that will constantly tempt you! Walking tours of the city are highly recommended, as a fun and an interesting way to discover your bearings, along with everything else that the city has to offer. Our team in Rome is incredibly warm and welcoming, so you’ll have excellent support and advice when you’re looking to plan excursions and social activities. Considering that the pizza, pasta and gelato are so good, you’ll appreciate the fact that walking through the city is such enjoyable exercise!
Sustainable Tourism interns learn from a qualified and experienced supervisor, and can be involved in:
- Planning sustainable tours and activities
- Establishing relationships between tourism operators and attractions, clients and authorities
- Marketing and business development
- Conducting research on sustainability within the tourism sector
Professional development opportunities:
- Learn about the impact that tourism has on the environment
- Learn about sustainability and how it applies to the tourism sector
- Build relationships within the world class tourism industry in Italy
- Develop a broad portfolio of skills in marketing and business development
- Build Italian language skills in a professional environment
- Gain practical skills and boost your employability, with guidance from Intern Abroad HQ’s Experiential Learning Curriculum to support your learning and cultural intelligence.
- Monday to Friday, 9am - 5pm
- Gain practical understanding of sustainability techniques
- Contribute to the innovation of the tourism industry as it adapts to become more sustainable
- Explore the famous attractions of Rome and wider Italy, while enjoying amazing Italian food
Types of host organizations:
- Tour operators
- Tourism associations
Keen to get started?
Taking the first step is easy! It is free to apply and takes just 5 minutes.Submit an application
It’s free to apply for this internship. Once we have reviewed your suitability and accepted you onto this program, you’ll need to pay a deposit of US$449 to confirm your place. The remaining balance of your Program Fee (less your initial US$449 deposit payment) will be due no less than 60 days before your internship start date.
Beginner Italian Language Speakers
|Internship Duration||Program Fee (USD)|
|8 weeks||8 weeks||$5,725|
|9 weeks||9 weeks||$6,185|
|10 weeks||10 weeks||$6,582|
|11 weeks||11 weeks||$6,974|
|12 weeks||12 weeks||$7,371|
Intermediate Italian Language Speakers
|Internship Duration||Program Fee (USD)|
|6 weeks||6 weeks||$4,716|
|7 weeks||7 weeks||$5,108|
|8 weeks||8 weeks||$5,499|
|9 weeks||9 weeks||$5,959|
|10 weeks||10 weeks||$6,357|
|11 weeks||11 weeks||$6,748|
|12 weeks||12 weeks||$7,145|
It is important to note that internships in Rome include mandatory Italian language lessons, which are taken in conjunction with the internship program. Beginners to the Italian language must commit to a minimum duration of at least 8 weeks, which includes a 4-week introductory Italian language course and the remaining weeks in a full time internship placement. Intermediate Italian speakers (B1 or B2 or higher) must commit to a minimum duration of 6 weeks, which includes a 2-week Italian language course and the remaining weeks in a full time internship placement.