Exciting Architecture and Design internships for students looking to gain experience, build portfolios and contribute to real life projects in Italy. With placements in studios, website agencies and graphic design agencies in Rome, interns can assist with project design work and a range of rendering and graphic design tasks.
This is an in-country internship, with accommodation and meals provided.
When you start your career in architecture or design, your ability to get a good job can depend on your demonstrated skills and experience. Having a broad portfolio of work to showcase provides a huge advantage. On these Architecture & Design internships, you’ll contribute to a range of real life projects that will add to your portfolio and experience, helping you to stand out to future employers.
As an intern, you can be placed in architecture or design studios, or within website or graphic design agencies. You’ll use computer software to make original renderings or designs, building your skills and gaining experience that will be highly relevant for your career path.
Due to the broad scope of this internship field, we take a customized approach to match each intern to their best placement opportunity. Examples of internship activities may include (but aren’t limited to):
- Assisting your tutor with project/product design tasks
- Using various program design software such as AutoCAD or ArchiCAD
- Performing graphic design tasks
- Assisting with the presentation of projects to clients
- Helping to prepare projects for international architecture and design competitions
- Producing renderings and graphic design content for interior design concepts
Please make note of any specific skills or areas of interest in your application so you can be matched with an appropriate internship placement.
It is important to note that internships in Rome include mandatory Italian language lessons, which are included within the minimum duration requirement of the internship. While your internship can be conducted in English, interns are encouraged to use the opportunity to practice your Italian skills where possible.
For beginners to the Italian language (levels A1 and A2), you’re required to complete a four-week Italian language course at an accredited language school in Rome before you start at your internship placement.
Interns with intermediate Italian will complete two weeks of language lessons, prior to commencing the placement. If you have intermediate language skills, please note that you may be asked to provide verification (such as a B1 or B2 level certificate).
Additional language lessons can be arranged in-country, for those who wish to continue classes.
There is a lot to do in your spare time while completing your internship in Italy! Rome is an absolutely fantastic city to explore. Having been inhabited for the last three millennia, it’s brimming with ancient history, including almost 300 fountains and nearly a thousand churches. Not to mention the amazing eateries that will constantly tempt you! Walking tours of the city are highly recommended, as a fun and an interesting way to discover your bearings, along with everything else that the city has to offer. Our team in Rome is incredibly warm and welcoming, so you’ll have excellent support and advice when you’re looking to plan excursions and social activities. Considering that the pizza, pasta and gelato are so good, you’ll appreciate the fact that walking through the city is such enjoyable exercise!
Architecture & Design interns learn from a qualified and experienced supervisor, and can be involved in:
- Making original renderings and designs
- Presenting designs to clients
- Contributing to various stages of a range of projects
Professional development opportunities:
- Gain experience completing projects to specific briefs
- Build your all-around design skills contributing to a range of projects
- Develop your skills using industry software tools such as AutoCAD and ArchiCAD
- Build your creative skills by learning from experienced local architects and designers
- Gain first hand understanding into unique design elements and trends in Italy
- Build Italian language skills in a professional environment
- Gain practical skills and boost your employability, with guidance from Intern Abroad HQ’s Experiential Learning Curriculum to support your learning and cultural intelligence.
- Monday to Friday, 9am - 5pm
- Gain hands-on skills contributing to architecture and design projects
- Build your design portfolio with real life examples of professional work
- Explore all the attractions of Rome and wider Italy, while enjoying amazing Italian food
Types of host organizations:
- Architecture and design studios
- Website development agencies
- Graphic design agencies
Keen to get started?
Taking the first step is easy! It is free to apply and takes just 5 minutes.Submit an application
It’s free to apply for this internship. Once we have reviewed your suitability and accepted you onto this program, you’ll need to pay a deposit of US$449 to confirm your place. The remaining balance of your Program Fee (less your initial US$449 deposit payment) will be due no less than 60 days before your internship start date.
Beginner Italian Language Speakers
|Internship Duration||Program Fee (USD)|
|8 weeks||8 weeks||$5,725|
|9 weeks||9 weeks||$6,185|
|10 weeks||10 weeks||$6,582|
|11 weeks||11 weeks||$6,974|
|12 weeks||12 weeks||$7,371|
Intermediate Italian Language Speakers
|Internship Duration||Program Fee (USD)|
|6 weeks||6 weeks||$4,716|
|7 weeks||7 weeks||$5,108|
|8 weeks||8 weeks||$5,499|
|9 weeks||9 weeks||$5,959|
|10 weeks||10 weeks||$6,357|
|11 weeks||11 weeks||$6,748|
|12 weeks||12 weeks||$7,145|
It is important to note that internships in Rome include mandatory Italian language lessons, which are taken in conjunction with the internship program. Beginners to the Italian language must commit to a minimum duration of at least 8 weeks, which includes a 4-week introductory Italian language course and the remaining weeks in a full time internship placement. Intermediate Italian speakers (B1 or B2 or higher) must commit to a minimum duration of 6 weeks, which includes a 2-week Italian language course and the remaining weeks in a full time internship placement.