This Psychology internship in Peru offers a unique opportunity for psychology students to learn from a qualified professional working in a clinical setting. Interns shadow and assist local psychologists as they work with patients with a wide range of mental health challenges, including traumas, diagnosed disorders and developmental issues.
This is an in-country internship, with accommodation and meals provided.
Psychology interns in Peru get a real-life view of working in psychology. By shadowing and assisting practicing psychologists, you’ll see how they develop relationships with patients and implement different treatment strategies. Placements are available in a range of both private and public clinics, helping patients with a wide range of personal issues. Interns can also help the clinic to run smoothly by assisting with administrative tasks.
Psychology internship placements in Peru provide additional scope for interns to assist with domestic violence campaigns. Domestic violence can often be correlated with mental health issues in Peru, and proactive interns can help to organize and run campaigns in the community to raise awareness, providing information to locals about how to seek help.
Please note the degree of independence and nature of the tasks that Psychology interns will be assigned is dependent on your Spanish level and prior experience. It is essential to develop a rapport with psychologists and patients and being able to communicate properly in Spanish is an important factor in helping you to do that. Be prepared to take a proactive approach and take initiative where possible.
Cusco is world-renowned as the closest city to Machu Picchu, Peru’s most popular tourist attraction. It’s a city for adventurous travelers that enjoy the outdoors, particularly hiking and photography. There are plenty of world-class walks to explore in your spare time, and Cusco also offers a unique culturally immersive experience that’s perfect for outgoing interns!
Psychology interns learn from a qualified and experienced supervisor, and can be involved in:
- Shadowing and observing local psychologists in clinics
- Supporting in administrative work
- Learning about the diagnosis of patients from your supervisor
- Helping to organize and run educational campaigns
Professional development opportunities:
- Experience how psychologists build relationships and trust with patients
- Gain understanding about treatment strategies for patients with a range of issues
- Practice and develop Spanish language proficiency within a professional setting
- Get an insight in the Peruvian healthcare system
- Gain practical skills and boost your employability, with guidance from Intern Abroad HQ’s Experiential Learning Curriculum to support your learning and cultural intelligence.
- Monday - Friday, 4 hours per day
- Work closely with professional psychologists
- Get to know and understand the factors behind a range of mental health issues
- Support in domestic violence campaigns
- Experience Cusco, one of the world’s most popular tourism cities
Types of host organizations:
- Public and private mental health clinics
Keen to get started?
Taking the first step is easy! It is free to apply and takes just 5 minutes.Submit an application
It’s free to apply for this internship. Once we have reviewed your suitability and accepted you onto this program, you’ll need to pay a deposit of US$449 to confirm your place. The remaining balance of your Program Fee (less your initial US$449 deposit payment) will be due no less than 60 days before your internship start date.
Program Fee (USD)
|2 weeks||$994Equivalent to $71/day|
|3 weeks||$1,129Equivalent to $53/day|
|4 weeks||$1,264Equivalent to $45/day|
|5 weeks||$1,399Equivalent to $39/day|
|6 weeks||$1,534Equivalent to $36/day|
|8 weeks||$1,804Equivalent to $32/day|
|10 weeks||$2,074Equivalent to $29/day|
|12 weeks||$2,344Equivalent to $27/day|
|16 weeks||$2,884Equivalent to $25/day|
|20 weeks||$3,424Equivalent to $24/day|
|24 weeks||$3,964Equivalent to $23/day|
- 24/7 in-country support
- Airport pick-up
- Program orientation
- Dedicated support before, during, and after your internship
- In-country guidance for social and tourist activities
- Sourcing and securing your internship placement
- Personalization of your internship plan
- Coaching from your supervisor
- Documented portfolio of your experiential learnings
- International reference letter
- Certificate of Internship Completion
- Visa (if required), flights, travel insurance (mandatory), vaccinations, criminal background check
- Transfer back to the airport at the end of your internship program
- Optional extras, such as language lessons
- Souvenirs and leisure activities during your free time
- Personal spending money to cover basic expenses such as drinks, snacks, laundry, public transportation, and any meals not included in your Program Fee
- A deposit of $449 USD is required to secure your internship
- Please note: The medical internship programs (Physician’s Assistant, Dentistry, Midwifery, Psychology and Physiotherapy) have an extra surcharge of US$15 per week, for extra supervision, materials and logistics involved. This amount will be included in the Program Fee quoted to you when you apply.
- Balance of your Program Fee is due 60 days before your internship start date.
- All payments attract a 5% transaction fee to cover international banking fees and currency charges.
- Terms and Conditions apply.