Psychology internships in Cape Town offer exclusive opportunities to learn about inpatient services, community health, addiction, substance abuse, and more. Interns assist experienced local professionals in multidisciplinary teams, shadowing and observing real life therapies to develop valuable experience and understanding.
This is an in-country internship, with accommodation provided. Click here to view remote Psychology & Social Work internships which you can undertake from home.
With its legacy of Apartheid and the deep scars it created, South Africa has large numbers of poverty stricken communities, where violence and substance abuse are common. As a Psychology intern in Cape Town, you’ll gain rare insight into the unique factors contributing to these issues and many more.
Psychology interns shadow and assist local therapists in clinics in Cape Town, within multidisciplinary teams such as:
- Adult In-patient Services
- Adult Community Mental Health Services
- Child & Adolescent Services
- Prevention & Program Evaluation Services
- Addiction & Substance Abuse Services
- Neuropsychological & Psychological Assessment Services
Placements focus on a scientific model, in which professional practice is led by theory and evidence.
There are a wide range of internship placements available, and interns can request placements within specific fields if you wish. These requests are accommodated wherever possible, but are subject to availability. Regardless of your exact internship placement, you’ll intern alongside an experienced local therapist during their day-to-day duties, including patient sessions, diagnosis and research. These are unique opportunities to put your theoretical understanding into practice and can and insight into the real life world of being a therapist.
Due to the broad scope of Psychology internship placements, interns will be matched according to an analysis of your skills, experience, educational background, and duration of stay. Interns should submit a comprehensive application and state any placement/activity preferences. The specific details of the assigned placement will be provided prior to the program start date.
During your weekends, you can visit the District Six Museum, Robben Island, and the Zeitz Museum of Contemporary Art Africa. These excellent sites can provide more understanding of South Africa’s history, to deepen the immersive and educational experience of your internship. There are also beautiful scenic attractions that you won’t want to miss - whether hiking Table Mountain, Signal Hill or Lion’s Head for panoramic views of the city, relaxing on the beaches, or meandering along the Garden Route to visit wineries, you’ll find that there is never a dull moment. If you don’t want to visit Africa without planning a safari, let us know! Our team in Cape Town will help you arrange an ethical, responsible and unforgettable tour.
This internship is conducted in English.
Psychology interns learn from a qualified and experienced supervisor, and can be involved in:
- Shadowing and observing therapy sessions
- Researching patient symptoms and interventions
Professional development opportunities:
- Understand the day-to-day duties of practicing psychologists
- Develop your experience providing assessments and treatments for patients with a range of issues and feelings
- Build professional understanding in running therapy sessions and establishing trusting patient relationships
- Develop professional communication skills
- Gain practical skills and boost your employability, with guidance from Intern Abroad HQ’s Experiential Learning Curriculum to support your learning and cultural intelligence.
- Monday to Friday, 9am - 5pm
- Gain a first hand insight into the daily life of psychologists
- Build your knowledge of psychological assessment and assistance by observing real life therapy sessions
- Enjoy spare time exploring the unique and eclectic city of Cape Town, and wider South Africa
Types of host organizations:
- Private and public therapy clinics
Keen to get started?
Taking the first step is easy! It is free to apply and takes just 5 minutes.Submit an application
It’s free to apply for this internship. Once we have reviewed your suitability and accepted you onto this program, you’ll need to pay a deposit of US$449 to confirm your place. The remaining balance of your Program Fee (less your initial US$449 deposit payment) will be due no less than 60 days before your internship start date.
|Internship Duration||Program Fee (USD)|
|2 weeks||2 weeks||$1,418|
|3 weeks||3 weeks||$1,556|
|4 weeks||4 weeks||$1,694|
|5 weeks||5 weeks||$1,832|
|6 weeks||6 weeks||$1,970|
|8 weeks||8 weeks||$2,246|
|10 weeks||10 weeks||$2,729|
|12 weeks||12 weeks||$3,005|
|16 weeks||16 weeks||$3,557|
|20 weeks||20 weeks||$4,109|
|24 weeks||24 weeks||$4,661|