Develop your skills as a psychologist by assisting in clinics in Valencia, observing and learning from real life consultations. Psychology internships offer practical work experience learning from experienced local therapists in private practices, non-profits, social services or healthcare centers.
This is an in-country internship with accommodation and meals included. Click here to view the remote version of this Psychology internship (also hosted out of Spain), which you can undertake virtually from home.
Participating in a Psychology internship in Spain is a great way to develop your psychology experience and career. Interns play an observational role alongside trained local therapists, shadowing them in real life consultations and learning from actual therapy sessions. Placements are available across a range of environments, including private practices and clinics, healthcare centers, with non-profit organizations and social services. Interns with an interest in sports psychology can be placed with sporting organizations and even professional teams.
Interns complete independent reflections following observations, using experiential learning techniques to practice critical thinking and build their clinical understanding from an early stage.
While your supervisor will speak English, interns should be prepared for a language barrier, as most patient interactions will be conducted in Spanish. However, your supervisor will provide opportunities to debrief following sessions, ensuring you are able to follow the work as it is conducted. All psychology interns in Spain need to be as proactive as possible to ensure that they’re communicating openly with their supervisor and making appointments for regular debrief sessions.
Psychology internship placements work across a wide range of psychological conditions and techniques, including:
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
- Alzheimer’s treatment
- Systemic family therapy
- Body techniques
- Family and group therapy
- Speech therapy
- Research into treatment and psychological conditions
- Mediation and career development
- Psychiatric treatment
- The use of media and technology to support wellbeing
- …and much more.
Interns seeking experience in a particular psychological field should include details in your application. Requests for specific placements can be accommodated, subject to availability.
While the specific nature of your internship will vary according to your level of experience, Spanish language proficiency, chosen duration and placement priorities, typical intern duties can include (but are not limited to):
- Treatment observation and subsequent reports and/or reflections (to discuss with your supervisor)
- Collaborating with professionals in regard to diagnosis and treatment planning, to learn about particular case studies, goals and outcomes
- Report writing (which may include self reflection of psychological observations, for review with your supervisor)
- Researching psychological topics which are relevant to the placement, their clients and their areas of need
- Translating documents for the clinic into English (for internal administration or other communicative needs of the placement)
- Providing general administrative support and customer service to clients
Psychology interns should always come prepared to cooperate with full flexibility and sensitivity, especially while seeking to enhance their cultural intelligence and reflection on approaches that may differ. The inclusion of an intern in any treatment with a patient will always be subject to the clients agreement and relevant confidentiality requirements of the clinic.
This internship is conducted in English; however, a commitment to learn some basic Spanish (or expand your existing skills) will be to your advantage. All internship orientations in Valencia include introductory Spanish language lessons. These are fun and social. You can arrange to continue Spanish language lessons during your internship, if you wish to develop your skills, and this can be coordinated in-country.
Valencia is a popular tourist city on Spain’s south-eastern Mediterranean Coast. It’s well known for its historic old town and relaxed way of life. In recent years, Valencia has established itself as a fantastic hub for culture and enterprise. While the city is broadly celebrated for its modern City of Arts and Sciences Museum, it’s an equally desirable destination if you love the outdoors, excellent cuisine and fantastic weather!
Psychology interns learn from a qualified and experienced supervisor, and can be involved in:
- Therapy observation
- Reporting on consultations, diagnoses and treatment plans
- Contributing to new and ongoing research projects
Professional development opportunities:
- Understand patient relationship building
- Experience real life therapy sessions and how they are run
- Experience how therapists make diagnoses based on specific patient issues
- Build report writing skills based on your observations of therapy sessions
- Learn from practicing psychologists in real life situations
- Practice and hone Spanish language skills
- Gain practical skills and boost your employability, with guidance from Intern Abroad HQ’s Experiential Learning Curriculum to support your learning and cultural intelligence.
- Monday to Friday, approximately 9am to 7pm (some placements may observe a longer “siesta” break over the mid afternoon lunch period).
- Develop your experience in a psychological department that interests you
- Experience a wide range of real life therapy sessions, diagnoses and treatments
- Enjoy traveling and living in Valencia, with easy access to wider Spain and the Mediterranean
Types of host organizations:
- Private practices
- Non-profit organizations
- Social services
- Healthcare centres
- Psychology clinics
- Sports organizations
Keen to get started?
Taking the first step is easy! It is free to apply and takes just 5 minutes.Submit an application
It’s free to apply for this internship. Once we have reviewed your suitability and accepted you onto this program, you’ll need to pay a deposit of US$449 to confirm your place. The remaining balance of your Program Fee (less your initial US$449 deposit payment) will be due no less than 60 days before your internship start date.
|Internship Duration||Program Fee (USD)|
|2 weeks||2 weeks||$2,209|
|3 weeks||3 weeks||$2,434|
|4 weeks||4 weeks||$2,659|
|5 weeks||5 weeks||$2,884|
|6 weeks||6 weeks||$3,109|
|8 weeks||8 weeks||$3,559|
|10 weeks||10 weeks||$4,009|
|12 weeks||12 weeks||$4,459|
|16 weeks||16 weeks||$5,359|
|20 weeks||20 weeks||$6,259|
|24 weeks||24 weeks||$7,159|
European students who wish to receive Erasmus funding for their internship in Spain are encouraged to apply and outline their specific requirements.