Gain practical experience in the vast field of public health, helping to educate, prevent and treat local communities across Cape Town. On these Public Health internships, you’ll assist qualified healthcare professionals on rich educational placements including diverse health projects and community medical clinics.
This is an in-country internship, with accommodation provided.
South Africa’s healthcare system faces many serious challenges, which include issues related to obesity, smoking, drug abuse, diabetes, high rates of HIV/AIDS and tuberculosis. Public health is a hugely important field that provides a range of prevention and intervention techniques for common issues among communities.
As an intern in the public health sector, you’ll assist public health advisers in hospitals and clinics, or those working with school education groups. You’ll shadow and observe qualified medical professionals in consultations with patients, and gain experience promoting healthy lifestyles to community groups. These classes can include general health practices, as well as specific fields such as exercise, mental health, nutrition, sexual health, COVID-19 prevention, and more.
There are also opportunities to carry out public health policy-related activities. Interns should expect to be flexible with their schedule, as placements may have flexible hours.
Public Health internships encapsulate a broad scope of opportunities, and internships are customized so that you’ll be contributing to a placement that focuses on an area well suited to your interests and education. Interns wanting to focus their placement in a specific field should include details in your application. Requests are accommodated wherever possible, though are subject to availability.
During your weekends, you can visit the District Six Museum, Robben Island, and the Zeitz Museum of Contemporary Art Africa. These excellent sites can provide more understanding of South Africa’s history, to deepen the immersive and educational experience of your internship. There are also beautiful scenic attractions that you won’t want to miss - whether hiking Table Mountain, Signal Hill or Lion’s Head for panoramic views of the city, relaxing on the beaches, or meandering along the Garden Route to visit wineries, you’ll find that there is never a dull moment. If you don’t want to visit Africa without planning a safari, let us know! Our team in Cape Town will help you arrange an ethical, responsible and unforgettable tour.
This internship is conducted in English.
Public Health interns learn from a qualified and experienced supervisor, and can be involved in:
- Shadowing patient consultations
- Developing and running public health programs
- Running educational public health classes in the community
Professional development opportunities:
- Experience South Africa’s public health system in action
- Gain an understanding of preventive public health measures
- Build your understanding of effective public health measures
- Build communication skills delivering engaging public health workshops
- Gain practical skills and boost your employability, with guidance from Intern Abroad HQ’s Experiential Learning Curriculum to support your learning and cultural intelligence.
- Monday to Friday, 9am - 5pm
- Gain a first hand understanding of how a public health system works for people in the community
- Contribute to the delivery of public health in a specific field that’s relevant to your skills and interests
- Enjoy spare time exploring the unique and eclectic city of Cape Town, and wider South Africa
Types of host organizations:
- Public health clinics
Keen to get started?
Taking the first step is easy! It is free to apply and takes just 5 minutes.Submit an application
It’s free to apply for this internship. Once we have reviewed your suitability and accepted you onto this program, you’ll need to pay a deposit of US$449 to confirm your place. The remaining balance of your Program Fee (less your initial US$449 deposit payment) will be due no less than 60 days before your internship start date.
|Internship Duration||Program Fee (USD)|