Women’s Education interns join a foundation in Tanzania that is dedicated to helping girls and young women achieve their potential and life goals. Interns contribute to community programs that provide at-risk women with increased access to housing, education, job training and mentoring, helping to improve their situations and outlook for the future.
This is an in-country internship, with accommodation and meals provided. Click here to view the remote version of this Women’s Education internship (also hosted out of Tanzania), which you can undertake virtually from home.
This Women’s Education internship is perfect for interns looking to gain experience in mentoring and helping under-privileged women and girls to overcome their challenges and achieve their goals for the future. You’ll gain hands-on experience as a mentor and educator, facilitating school lessons and job training that can dramatically improve the outlook of girls from vulnerable backgrounds.
Interns join a semi-structured program that helps girls and women to create their own short and long term goals, toward their plans for the future. These goals may include ambitions to finish high school, enhance employability skills, and gain a job to generate income for themselves.
You’ll contribute through assisting with reading, writing and computer classes, homework tuition, general vocational skills, and also support the general operation of the foundation. This can involve community outreach, life counselling work, and working alongside the project director to provide one-on-one mentorship for women who are working to overcome various challenges.
You can also support a Leadership Academy for Girls, which provides focused mentorship for teenage girls within the community.
For all interns with an interest in developing skills as an educator, we also recommend an interactive Online TEFL Certification Course. The training offers tools and techniques over a 100-hour program. Upon completion, you’ll have earned experience in planning, designing, and adapting diverse language activities and materials. No previous teaching experience or training is required. You can sign up for the Online TEFL Certification Course anytime and you’ll pay the discounted Intern Abroad HQ rate.
Outside your internship, you’ll have the opportunity to discover for yourself why Tanzania is one of Africa’s most popular tourist destinations. The country is well-known for nature and adventure tourism, particularly its incredible safaris and wildlife reserves. People come from all over the world to visit Mount Kilimanjaro, Serengeti National Park, and the golden beaches of Zanzibar. Your in-country internship coordinator will assist you in advance to arrange day trips or longer excursions (such as multi-day safari adventures). If you’re planning your internship in Tanzania, don’t miss the opportunity to schedule an itinerary that incorporates these wonderful, unforgettable attractions.
This internship is conducted in English.
Women’s Education interns learn from a qualified and experienced supervisor, and can be involved in:
- Helping to organize and deliver school lessons
- Mentoring women and girls
- Planning short and long term goals
- Organizing job training opportunities
- Providing administrative support to the foundation
Professional development opportunities:
- Learn about the challenges women face in Tanzania and how to overcome them
- Develop relationship building skills with vulnerable women and girls
- Gain organizational skills preparing and accommodating educative lessons
- Gain an understanding of how to mentor women and girls
- Gain practical skills and boost your employability, with guidance from Intern Abroad HQ’s Experiential Learning Curriculum to support your learning and cultural intelligence.
- Monday to Friday, 9am - 5pm
- Develop your understanding of how to help women and girls to overcome their challenges
- Learn relationship building skills that enable you to work with others to improve their prospects for the future
- Enjoy spare time in Arusha, go on safari in the Serengeti, and explore world famous natural landscapes
Types of host organizations:
- Women’s foundations
Keen to get started?
Taking the first step is easy! It is free to apply and takes just 5 minutes.Submit an application
It’s free to apply for this internship. Once we have reviewed your suitability and accepted you onto this program, you’ll need to pay a deposit of US$449 to confirm your place. The remaining balance of your Program Fee (less your initial US$449 deposit payment) will be due no less than 60 days before your internship start date.
Program Fee (USD)
|2 weeks||$1,284Equivalent to $91/day|
|3 weeks||$1,389Equivalent to $66/day|
|4 weeks||$1,494Equivalent to $53/day|
|5 weeks||$1,599Equivalent to $45/day|
|6 weeks||$1,704Equivalent to $40/day|
|7 weeks||$1,809Equivalent to $36/day|
|8 weeks||$1,914Equivalent to $34/day|
|10 weeks||$2,124Equivalent to $30/day|
|12 weeks||$2,334Equivalent to $27/day|
Program Fee (USD)
|2 weeks||$1,384Equivalent to $98/day|
|3 weeks||$1,489Equivalent to $70/day|
|4 weeks||$1,594Equivalent to $56/day|
|5 weeks||$1,699Equivalent to $48/day|
|6 weeks||$1,804Equivalent to $42/day|
|7 weeks||$1,909Equivalent to $38/day|
|8 weeks||$2,014Equivalent to $35/day|
|10 weeks||$2,224Equivalent to $31/day|
|12 weeks||$2,434Equivalent to $28/day|
- 24/7 in-country support
- Airport pick-up
- Program orientation
- Dedicated support before, during, and after your internship
- In-country guidance for social and tourist activities
- Sourcing and securing your internship placement
- Personalization of your internship plan
- Coaching from your supervisor
- Documented portfolio of your experiential learnings
- International reference letter
- Certificate of Internship Completion
- Visa (if required), flights, travel insurance (mandatory), vaccinations, criminal background check
- Transfer back to the airport at the end of your internship program
- Optional extras, such as language lessons
- Souvenirs and leisure activities during your free time
- Personal spending money to cover basic expenses such as drinks, snacks, laundry, public transportation, and any meals not included in your Program Fee
- A deposit of $449 USD is required to secure your internship
- Balance of your Program Fee is due 60 days before your internship start date.
- All payments attract a 5% transaction fee to cover international banking fees and currency charges.
- Terms and Conditions apply.