Assist microfinance organizations that give vital support to small businesses by providing affordable loans and business advice. Interns collaborate with business owners, helping with lending, budgeting and growth strategies, and teaching financial literacy.
Many small entrepreneurs in Guatemala aren’t able to receive loans from banks and can resort to loan sharks, who charge exorbitant amounts of interest. However, microfinance organizations help these small entrepreneurs with reasonable lending options, and provide financial training and education to help them manage their loans.
Microfinance interns can both assist these organizations themselves, or help to provide services to business owners in the community. Placements are available in organizations with offices around Guatemala, including in Tecpán, Chimaltenango, Quiche, Patzún, and Chichicastenango.
When assisting microfinance organizations, interns may be able to improve IT systems, conducting case studies on small to medium businesses, following up on loaner business progress or assisting with general administration of the business and its loans.
When assisting entrepreneurs, interns may be able to plan and run financial literacy workshops on a range of subjects, or help business owners to develop or implement budgets or business strategies.
This is a highly customizable internship, so the nature of your internship placement and duties will depend on your skills, internship duration, experience, level of Spanish language proficiency and interests.
Microfinance interns learn from a qualified and experienced supervisor, and can be involved in:
- Assisting small businesses with budgeting
- Helping microfinance companies to issue loans to businesses
- Conduct financial case studies
- Teach business owners financial literacy
- Help entrepreneurs with business strategies
Professional development opportunities:
- Learn proven strategies to help start ups develop
- Help with real world small businesses strategy
- Gain experience in financial education
- Hone your Spanish language skills
- Gain practical skills and boost your employability, with guidance from Intern Abroad HQ’s Experiential Learning Curriculum to support your learning and cultural intelligence
- Monday to Friday, 8am to 5pm
- Intern alongside experienced business developers
- Help business owners directly with financing and business strategy
- Experience real life lending situations
Types of host organizations:
- Microfinance organizations
Keen to get started?
Taking the first step is easy! It is free to apply and takes just 5 minutes.Submit an application
It’s free to apply for this internship. Once we have reviewed your suitability and accepted you onto this program, you’ll need to pay a deposit of US$449 to confirm your place. The remaining balance of your Program Fee (less your initial US$449 deposit payment) will be due no less than 60 days before your internship start date.
|Internship Duration||Program Fee (USD)|