Gain first-hand event management experience organizing and running events in New Zealand. Interns help to deliver a range of high quality events, enabling you to develop your project management skills and build your PR portfolio. These are high energy placements for social interns with strong attention to detail and a little bit of flair!
This is an in-country internship, with accommodation provided.
This Event Management and Public Relations internship in Auckland is perfect for anyone wanting to gain practical experience organizing and delivering real events in New Zealand. You will help with the planning and execution of diverse events, such as corporate meetings, conferences, celebrations, fairs, festivals, and even weddings. Interns are involved across all stages of planning and implementation, so it’s important to be flexible and cooperative, and be open to whatever tasks are required at any given time.
Internship tasks can involve, but may not be limited to:
- Assisting in brainstorming and concept development, planning and presenting
- Liaising with the marketing team to develop promotional materials and press releases for upcoming events
- Liaising with clients, coordinating event services and organizing vendors
- Conducting market research for business development strategies
- Working with customer service or event management databases
- Assisting with post-event analysis and relevant de-briefs or follow ups
Internship placements are available with both for-profit businesses and nonprofit organizations. Specific requests to intern with either can be catered for, though are subject to availability.
It’s important to keep in mind that, depending on the timeline of events and how it aligns with your internship duration, you may not be in New Zealand for the delivery of some events you contribute to. Interns can extend the duration of your internship while you’re in New Zealand, if you wish to stay on to deliver an event you have helped to organize. Any requests to extend your duration in-country are subject to availability and your visa status within New Zealand.
In your spare time, you’ll be able to explore the vibrant, cosmopolitan city of Auckland. Known as the “City of Sails” because of all the sailboats and yachts anchored in marinas around Auckland, you’ll quickly become familiar with the country’s adventure loving spirit and affinity for the ocean. Aside from the beautiful beaches spanning the country, New Zealand offers incredibly diverse landscapes to explore, from native bush and mountains, to stunning lakes, rivers, and even glaciers.
Auckland airport provides a convenient gateway to explore different regions of the country - keep an eye out for great domestic flight packages. When you’re interning in New Zealand, your weekends will be packed with things to see and do!
This internship is conducted in English.
Event Management and PR interns learn from a qualified and experienced supervisor, and can be involved in:
- Event concept development and brainstorming
- Project management
- Creating promotional materials
- Writing press releases to help publicize events
- Media liaison
- Coordinating event services with clients and vendors
- Setting up events
- Hosting clients and overseeing event delivery
- Collating feedback and analyzing event successes
Professional development opportunities:
- Gain an understanding of what goes into planning a range of different events
- Understand the requirements of different events
- Build multi-tasking skills and your ability to work to different project deadlines
- Build communication skills liaising with clients, vendors, media and stakeholders
- Develop event management skills
- Understand successes and failures in event delivery
- Gain practical skills and boost your employability, with guidance from Intern Abroad HQ’s Experiential Learning Curriculum to support your learning and cultural intelligence.
- Monday to Friday, 8am – 5pm
- Gain experience organizing and delivering events that satisfy specific client goals
- Improve your communication and organization skills to deliver complex, multi-faceted events
- Enjoy the world famous tourist adventures and stunning landscapes on offer in New Zealand
Types of host organizations:
- Private companies
- Media agencies
- Event management agencies
- Sports clubs
- Hospitality industry
Keen to get started?
Taking the first step is easy! It is free to apply and takes just 5 minutes.Submit an application
It’s free to apply for this internship. Once we have reviewed your suitability and accepted you onto this program, you’ll need to pay a deposit of US$449 to confirm your place. The remaining balance of your Program Fee (less your initial US$449 deposit payment) will be due no less than 60 days before your internship start date.
|Internship Duration||Program Fee (USD)|
It is important to note that internships in Auckland do not include meals and interns should budget to cover this Independently. Kitchen facilities are provided in all accommodation for independent meal preparation. A NZ$700 accommodation security deposit must be paid in-country but this is fully refundable, subject to inspection of the accommodation upon departure and confirmation that there have been no damages.