Event Planning internships in Cape Town provide a fantastic stepping stone for a career in event management and public relations. This unique opportunity allows interns to explore their creative talents, assisting with the delivery of diverse events such as parties, weddings and conferences for clients of all sizes and industries.
This is an in-country internship, with accommodation provided.
The world of events is exciting, fast-paced and creative. Having relevant industry experience is essential to set yourself apart in job interviews and create a foundation for a rewarding career. Event Planning interns in Cape Town are able to assist with a wide range of events, helping to create, plan and implement high quality events that cater to specific client requirements.
Interns are placed in event management companies or event departments, supporting professionals tasked with delivering specific functions and events such as parties, ceremonies, functions, conferences and more. Your role as an intern will be to collaborate with local teams to support the delivery of these premium events for clients. This can include providing concepts and ideas, organizing vendors, planning event schedules and activities, and assisting with event-day delivery to ensure everything goes to plan.
You may also contribute to the success of each event by assisting with marketing and social media campaigns, to build your communication skills in dealing with multiple stakeholders and audiences. Interns are encouraged to develop a strong eye for detail, ensuring every aspect of events are highly organized and run as scheduled on the day.
Event Planning interns can expect to receive formal and informal training and guidance in regard to event management, social media campaigns, marketing, fundraising and monthly giving campaigns.
Please be aware that, depending on the duration of your internship, interns may not be able to be involved in the delivery of events. Interns are able to extend the duration of their stay in South Africa if you decide to stay longer so you can be there for a specific event.
In your spare time in Cape Town, you’ll be able to enjoy this vibrant city and it’s unique natural surroundings. Table Mountain is a stunning natural feature of the cityscape offering many beautiful hiking trails. You can climb to the top, if you’re feeling fit, or take the Aerial Cableway to enjoy the r remarkable views. A wildlife safari is a “must do” while you’re in Africa and our local team is able to help you to arrange ethical, responsible tours where you can see Africa’s Big 5 - lions, leopards, buffalo, rhinoceros’, elephants and more!
This internship is conducted in English.
Event Planning interns learn from a qualified and experienced supervisor, and can be involved in:
- Meeting clients to receive event briefs and goals
- Brainstorming event ideas and features
- Event marketing and fundraising
- Organizing specific aspects of events
- Planning realistic run sheets for events
- Delivering events that run to schedule and meet client expectations
Professional development opportunities:
- Come up with creative solutions that help to satisfy event objectives
- Gain experience organizing specific aspects within events
- Build communication skills collaborating with a range of stakeholders
- Develop understanding of the requirements of a range of events
- Learn and develop marketing skills to publicize events
- Gain practical skills and boost your employability, with guidance from Intern Abroad HQ’s Experiential Learning Curriculum to support your learning and cultural intelligence.
- Monday to Friday, 9am - 5pm. Interns should be aware that some work may be required outside office hours, or on weekends, especially when delivering events.
- Gain real life experience planning and delivering actual events
- Develop specific understanding of the requirements of a range of events
- Enjoy spare time exploring the unique and eclectic city of Cape Town, and wider South Africa
Types of host organizations:
- Event planning companies
Keen to get started?
Taking the first step is easy! It is free to apply and takes just 5 minutes.Submit an application
It’s free to apply for this internship. Once we have reviewed your suitability and accepted you onto this program, you’ll need to pay a deposit of US$449 to confirm your place. The remaining balance of your Program Fee (less your initial US$449 deposit payment) will be due no less than 60 days before your internship start date.
Program Fee (USD)
|2 weeks||$1,418Equivalent to $101/day|
|3 weeks||$1,556Equivalent to $74/day|
|4 weeks||$1,694Equivalent to $60/day|
|5 weeks||$1,832Equivalent to $52/day|
|6 weeks||$1,970Equivalent to $46/day|
|8 weeks||$2,246Equivalent to $40/day|
|10 weeks||$2,729Equivalent to $38/day|
|12 weeks||$3,005Equivalent to $35/day|
|16 weeks||$3,557Equivalent to $31/day|
|20 weeks||$4,109Equivalent to $29/day|
|24 weeks||$4,661Equivalent to $27/day|
- 24/7 in-country support
- Airport pick-up
- Program orientation
- Dedicated support before, during, and after your internship
- In-country guidance for social and tourist activities
- Sourcing and securing your internship placement
- Personalization of your internship plan
- Coaching from your supervisor
- Documented portfolio of your experiential learnings
- International reference letter
- Certificate of Internship Completion
- Visa (if required), flights, travel insurance (mandatory), vaccinations, criminal background check
- Transfer back to the airport at the end of your internship program
- Optional extras, such as language lessons
- Souvenirs and leisure activities during your free time
- Personal spending money to cover basic expenses such as drinks, snacks, laundry, public transportation, and any meals not included in your Program Fee
- A deposit of $449 USD is required to secure your internship
- Balance of your Program Fee is due 60 days before your internship start date.
- All payments attract a 5% transaction fee to cover international banking fees and currency charges.
- Terms and Conditions apply.