Cape Town has been named by both the New York Times and the British Daily Telegraph as “the best place in the world to visit”, so it’s the perfect place to complete a Tourism & Hospitality internship. Gain experience in hotels, restaurants or a range of South African tourism companies to set up your global career!
This is an in-country internship, with accommodation provided.
Tourism and Hospitality internship placements in Cape Town are perfect for interns pursuing a career in tourism, hospitality management, online marketing, sales, or any industry that requires excellent customer service. Interns can be placed in a wide range of tourism and hospitality organizations, gaining industry experience in a role that’s customized to suit your own skills and interests.
Placement opportunities include hotels, hostels, tour companies, wine farms, boat/cruise companies, adventure companies and restaurants based in Cape Town. Your exact duties can vary based on the nature of your internship, but they can include:
- Receiving guests, including check-in and check-out
- Providing customer service
- Preparing guide manuals
- Organizing and hosting tours
- Transport booking
- Assisting with marketing and social media activities
Interns seeking experience within a specific field should include details in your application. Requests are accommodated wherever possible, but are subject to availability.
Regardless of your exact role, you’ll gain hands-on experience in a vibrant, international city that is a leader within the exciting and adventurous tourism and hospitality industries. Tourism and Hospitality internships reward friendly, proactive people who are keen to hone their skills in an industry which offers unique opportunities worldwide.
Outside of your Tourism & Hospitality internship, you will have free time to enjoy for yourself, the excellent tourism activities, natural landscapes and cultural attractions which make Cape Town and South Africa such a desirable destination! Whether you’re passionate about adventure tourism, the great outdoors, historical sites, or cultural events, there is so much to see and do. We definitely encourage interns to begin dreaming about their ideal itinerary in advance, to ensure you can plan to fit it all in! There are beautiful scenic attractions that you won’t want to miss - whether hiking Table Mountain, Signal Hill or Lion’s Head for panoramic views of the city, relaxing on the beaches, or meandering along the Garden Route to visit wineries, you’ll find that there is never a dull moment. If you don’t want to visit Africa without planning a safari, let us know! Our team in Cape Town will help you arrange an ethical, responsible and unforgettable tour.
This internship is conducted in English.
Tourism & Hospitality interns learn from a qualified and experienced supervisor, and can be involved in:
- Customer service
- Organizing and hosting tours
- Preparing tourism guide material
- Marketing and social media
Professional development opportunities:
- Develop your understanding of the needs of tourism and hospitality customers
- Learn about the specific running of tourism and hospitality companies
- Build communication skills dealing with customers
- Learn and use marketing and social media strategies within the tourism and hospitality sector
- Gain practical skills and boost your employability, with guidance from Intern Abroad HQ’s Experiential Learning Curriculum to support your learning and cultural intelligence.
- Monday to Friday, 9am - 5pm
- Gain hands-on skills in a customized role within the tourism and hospitality sector
- Build your experience providing amazing service to real life customers
- Enjoy spare time exploring the unique and eclectic city of Cape Town, and wider South Africa
Types of host organizations:
- Hotels and hostels
- Tour companies
- Wine farms
- Boat cruises
- Adventure companies
Keen to get started?
Taking the first step is easy! It is free to apply and takes just 5 minutes.Submit an application
It’s free to apply for this internship. Once we have reviewed your suitability and accepted you onto this program, you’ll need to pay a deposit of US$449 to confirm your place. The remaining balance of your Program Fee (less your initial US$449 deposit payment) will be due no less than 60 days before your internship start date.
|Internship Duration||Program Fee (USD)|