Gain hands-on experience in one of Africa’s most popular tourism destinations. These are highly customized internships, with placements in hotels, resorts, boutique accommodation, restaurants, tourism operations, or even with water sports companies as a surf or diving instructor. Enjoy stunning Zanzibar and help fellow tourists to do the same!
This is an in-country internship, with accommodation and meals provided.
A hidden gem of the Indian Ocean, Zanzibar boasts pristine beaches and rich cultural heritage. It relies heavily on tourism, and has a wide range of tourist services, hotels and resorts that help to make Zanzibar a highly-rated destination for tourists from all over the world.
Tourism and Hospitality interns can be placed in hotels or water sport businesses all around the main island of Zanzibar, helping locals in a range of roles. This is a highly customizable internship, where the exact nature of your role will depend on your own skills, interests and the needs of your placement. Interns can state a placement preference, with the majority of interns opting to be placed in hotels.
Hotel interns have a range of opportunities to assist in various aspects of the business. Interns can help at the front office, with reception, restaurant, reservations, guest relations, events or marketing teams. You can also assist with human resource planning and accommodation inventory management. Placements are available at large hotels and resorts where roles are more specialized, or in smaller hotels where you’ll help in a more general role.
Interns can choose other placements too, including as instructors in diving, surfing, kite-surfing, stand-up paddleboarding or snorkelling (prior experience may be required). You can also help water sport centers that offer kayaking, windsurfing, parasailing or fishing by explaining equipment or safety aspects to clients, maintaining equipment or assisting in administration or sales roles.
Tourism and Hospitality interns can expect a busy schedule of between 40-50 hours per week. Some weekend work may also be required. Interns should state a placement preference in your application. These will be accommodated wherever possible, but are not always guaranteed.
Zanzibar is a popular tourist destination for tourists in Africa, and has a unique mix of tropical and traditional African features. It has modern areas, with amazing beaches and activities for your spare time, as well as a cultural areas with iconic old buildings and shops to explore in your spare time. The island is a three hour ferry from the Tanzanian mainland, where you can tick off your African bucketlist with an amazing safari.
This internship is conducted in English.
Tourism and Hospitality interns learn from a qualified and experienced supervisor, and can be involved in:
- Hotel service work
- Hotel administration activities
- Guest assistance in hotels
- Bar/restaurant assistance
- Event management
- Hotel marketing
- Water sports instruction, including diving, surfing or kite-boarding
- Customer service at water sports providers
Professional development opportunities:
- Learn about tourism and hospitality service in one of Africa’s busiest tourism destinations
- Work experience across a range of hotel departments including reception, restaurants, events, administration and marketing
- Water sport instruction experience
- Customer service experience
- Gain practical skills and boost your employability, with guidance from Intern Abroad HQ’s Experiential Learning Curriculum to support your learning and cultural intelligence.
- Schedules vary based on the exact nature of each internship. Interns should prepare to be flexible with their schedules, but expect roughly 8 hours of work each day, including possible weekend work.
- Contribute to the tourism industry in a popular travel destination
- Customized placements across a range of tourism and hospitality providers
- Highly relevant industry experience
- Experience life on Zanzibar, a unique and beautiful African island
Types of host organizations:
- Hotels of different standards and sizes – from family-run hotels and small luxury boutique accommodation, to 5-star resorts.
- Water sport providers
Keen to get started?
Taking the first step is easy! It is free to apply and takes just 5 minutes.Submit an application
It’s free to apply for this internship. Once we have reviewed your suitability and accepted you onto this program, you’ll need to pay a deposit of US$449 to confirm your place. The remaining balance of your Program Fee (less your initial US$449 deposit payment) will be due no less than 60 days before your internship start date.
|Internship Duration||Program Fee (USD)|
Medical Internship fees in Zanzibar include Ministry of Health contributions / placement donations, but do not include the exemption certificate which is payable in-country directly to the hospital.