Gain practical business experience by interning remotely with local entrepreneurs and small enterprises in Jamaica, helping them to overcome challenges and identify new opportunities to grow their business. Interns focus on brand development, marketing and sales, helping start up and established businesses to cement themselves in their communities and build sustainable and successful business systems.
This is a remote internship you can conduct from home.
Having hands-on business experience on your resume will help you stand out from others during job interviews. This remote business development internship out of Jamaica will enable you to develop new skills and experience in real-life entrepreneurial business situations, working with business owners who really value the input of interns. This is an internship where you’ll really make a difference!
Business marketing interns are placed with a variety of local businesses that have requested help from a business support initiative to grow and strengthen their operations. Businesses are in a range of industries, and business owners often have little experience. Interns with a marketing, strategy or business development background are particularly valued.
You will play a hands-on role in supporting your placement company, helping identify and solve specific business problems, putting forward solutions and action plans to best tackle the marketing challenges and growth opportunities the business faces. This offers the unique opportunity for you to carry out business analytics, identifying areas of weakness and new opportunities for growth, and then working with the local business owner to implement your recommendations.
Due to the nature of this internship, the specifics of your role can vary largely. For example, brand establishment activities can involve labelling, logos, slogans and advertising.
Depending on your experience and strengths, you may invest more time in some aspects of marketing than others. If you have more strength in advertising, compared to design work, you may assist with copywriting, the establishment of sales relationships, the identification of business strengths, weaknesses and product or market diversification opportunities, etc.
This is a perfect internship for those interested in business startups and small business marketing, as interns can be given the autonomy often only given to seasoned marketers and business developers. You’ll be challenged with specific problem-solving requirements, and required to consider local business norms in Jamaica in the solutions you provide.
Business Marketing interns learn from a qualified and experienced supervisor, and can be involved in:
- Developing and implementing small business marketing and sales strategies
- Social media content creation and copywriting
- Conducting marketing campaigns
- Brand development
- Website development
- Developing sales relationships with vendors and/or clients
- Business analysis and growth plans
Professional development opportunities:
- Gain hands-on experience of creating effective solutions for small businesses
- Understand industry-specific business requirements
- Gain experience building brands and marketing campaigns
- Develop networks for business partnerships
- Learn about using business analytics to identify strengths and weaknesses
- Gain practical skills and boost your employability, with guidance from Intern Abroad HQ’s Experiential Learning Curriculum to support your learning and cultural intelligence.
- Virtual interns have the flexibility to work to a schedule that suits both you and your supervisor. The schedule will be co-designed to allow you to successfully manage your own time. Online meetings with your supervisor will generally take place during Jamaican office hours, so there will be times when you will need to be available to accommodate any time zone differences.
- Help a local business to grow, benefitting local business owners
- Gain an understanding of what holds businesses back, and how they move past specific issues
- Gain international work experience while interning remotely from home without having to travel
Types of host organizations:
- Small local businesses from a range of industries
Keen to get started?
Taking the first step is easy! It is free to apply and takes just 5 minutes.Submit an application
It’s free to apply for this internship. Once we have reviewed your suitability and accepted you onto this program, you’ll need to pay a deposit of US$449 to confirm your place. The remaining balance of your Program Fee (less your initial US$449 deposit payment) will be due within 7 days of being assigned a placement.
Program Fee (USD)
|100 hours (3 weeks full time, or 5 weeks part time)||$948|
|250 hours (8 weeks full time, or 12 weeks part time)||$1,348|
|350 hours (13 weeks full time, or 17 weeks part time)||$1,648|
- Dedicated support before, during, and after your internship
- Sourcing and securing your internship placement
- Personalization of your internship plan
- Orientation and coaching with your supervisor
- Documented portfolio of your experiential learnings
- International reference letter
- Certificate of Internship Completion
- A deposit of $449 USD is required to secure your internship
- Balance of your Program Fee is due within 7 days of being assigned a placement.
- All payments attract a 5% transaction fee to cover international banking fees and currency charges.
- International wire transfer payments attract a minimum fee of $75 USD.
- Terms and Conditions apply.