Child & Youth Mental Health
Play an important role in helping young people in Jamaica by developing online resources to improve their mental health, resilience and emotional intelligence. Interns are placed with NGOs, and assist with the research and development of online tools for young people struggling with a range of developmental issues.
- Gain practical experience to understand mental health issues in young people and how to address them
- Help young people to address their issues and encourage better community support
- Gain international experience while interning remotely from home without having to travel
Type of host organizations:
- Community Support Groups
Child and Youth Mental Health interns play an important role in helping young people in Jamaica by developing online resources to improve their mental health, resilience and emotional intelligence. Interns are placed with NGOs, and assist with the research and development of online tools for young people struggling with a range of developmental issues.
This is a remote internship you can undertake virtually from home. If you would prefer to intern abroad, click here to explore destinations that offer placements related to the Social Sciences.
It’s well documented that poverty, dysfunctional family structures and other social challenges can have a long-term impact on the development of young people. With limited resources, time and expertise, there can be little or no support for children and young people who have these kinds of day to day stresses, leading to poor emotional well-being. This is especially the case in Jamaica, where you can help make a real difference.
As a Child and Youth Mental Health virtual intern, you’ll be placed with local NGOs and community support groups who work with young people. Interns assist a team of dedicated therapists and psychologists on a hugely valuable project to improve the emotional well-being and mental health of young people in Jamaica.
Your role is to contribute to online resources that support children and young people looking to understand themselves and their feelings as they grow up. Interns contribute in two ways: researching data and creating the resources themselves.
- Conducting interviews to see how people react to certain stimuli
- Analyzing feedback to identify trends
- Develop short surveys and promote them online
- Research online content for the development of digital materials
- Write reports and develop content that will be used for digital materials
Creating resource includes:
- Making online animations, social media content, digital resources and interactive workbooks
- Creating video presentations on well being, mental and physical health
- Developing online and offline promotions and awareness campaigns for young people, their teachers, parents and others in the community
The work you complete can contribute to developing your own simple materials, as well as helping developers in Jamaica to complete more advanced resources.
As a remote intern, you’ll have the flexibility to work to a schedule that suits both you and your supervisor. Your schedule will need to accommodate online meetings with your supervisor when it’s required, so there will be times where you’ll need to be available during office hours in Jamaica.
Child & Youth Mental Health interns learn from a qualified and experienced supervisor, and can be involved in:
Researching mental health issues and contemporary understanding
Conducting mental health and well-being surveys
Producing digital resources to develop better understanding of mental health and well-being issues
Developing videos, workbooks, activities and other resources for young people in Jamaica
Running social media campaigns
Professional development opportunities:
Learn about mental health and well-being issues in general, as well as specifically in young people in Jamaica
Gain an understanding of how to promote good health and address certain issues and disorders
Get experience producing a range of different online and offline resources
Learn how to raise awareness of mental health issues and how to address stigmas around them.
Gain practical skills and boost your employability, with guidance from Intern Abroad HQ’s Experiential Learning Curriculum to support your learning and cultural intelligence.
”This internship role prepared me for my long-term career goal of working with disadvantaged youth, from a psychological standpoint. I learned skills that will benefit me in the future, such as communication, organization, and time management, and I further developed my skills as a researcher.”
Read reviews from our Jamaica InternsRead more reviews
Academic credit available for all internships
Gain course credit from your college or university and meet your academic requirements when completing an internship abroad or remote internship program with Intern Abroad HQ.Learn about course credit
It’s free to apply for this internship. Once we have reviewed your suitability and accepted you onto this program, you’ll need to pay a deposit of US$449 to confirm your place. The remaining balance of your Program Fee (less your initial US$449 deposit payment) will be due within 7 days of being assigned a placement.
Program Fee (USD)
|100 hours (3 weeks full time, or 5 weeks part time)||$948|
|250 hours (8 weeks full time, or 12 weeks part time)||$1,348|
|350 hours (13 weeks full time, or 17 weeks part time)||$1,648|
- Dedicated support before, during, and after your internship
- Sourcing and securing your internship placement
- Personalization of your internship plan
- Orientation and coaching with your supervisor
- Documented portfolio of your experiential learnings
- Academic credit facilitation
- International reference letter
- Certificate of Internship Completion
- A deposit of $449 USD is required to secure your internship
- Balance of your Program Fee is due within 7 days of being assigned a placement.
- All payments attract a 5% transaction fee to cover international banking fees and currency charges.
- International wire transfer payments attract a minimum fee of $75 USD.
- Terms and Conditions apply.
Get inspired with these related intern success stories & guidesRead more inspiring stories
Other internships you may be interested in
Clinical Psychology out of India
Covid-19 Psychological Support out of India
Developmental Psychology out of India
Introduction to Counseling Skills out of India
Organizational Psychology with HR & Career Counseling out of India
Psychology out of Spain