Virtual Psychology interns develop their practical knowledge of the profession, strengthen valuable communication skills, may shadow consultations with patients remotely, and contribute to the development of psychological resources. Remote interns may collaborate with experienced therapists in private practices, non-profits, social services or healthcare centers.
This is a remote internship you can undertake virtually from home. Click here to view the in-country version of this internship if you would prefer to intern abroad.
Completing a remote Psychology internship is a great way to get an insight into the real world application of your studies and gain crucial communication skills that will set you up for a rewarding career – without having to leave home!
Virtual internship placements for psychology are available in private practices and clinics, healthcare centers, with non-profit organizations and social services. Interns with an interest in sports psychology can be placed with sporting organizations and even professional teams. Each internship is customized to suit your own skills and interests, meaning your role is unique to you and helps you to achieve your own specific internship goals.
Remote psychology internships can include specific experience focusing on a range of psychological conditions and techniques, including (but not limited to):
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
- Alzheimer’s treatment
- Systemic family therapy
- Body techniques
- Family and group therapy
- Speech therapy
- Research into treatment and psychological conditions
- Mediation and career development
- Psychiatric treatment
- The use of media and technology to support wellbeing
Due to the virtual nature of the internship, interns typically contribute to the development of psychological resources, which is conducted in collaboration with your internship supervisor. These activities can include translating material into English, for the development of self-help websites and apps. These tasks involve research, reflection and learning in regard to therapeutic communication skills. Interns are encouraged to develop their understanding of the language used to support specific wellness and mental health initiatives.
Depending on various factors (such as the coordination of your schedule, your level of experience, Spanish language proficiency, and patient/supervisor permission), interns may additionally have scope to shadow remote sessions with patients. When observing therapies, interns complete independent reflections to build critical thinking and further cement your clinical understanding. Most patient interactions will be conducted in Spanish. Interns debrief with the supervisor after sessions for discussion and feedback. It’s important to be aware of the time difference in Spain, and understand that to observe sessions in real time, you’ll need to be available during Spanish daytime hours. Please also note that such opportunities are subject to availability.
While the specific nature of your internship will vary according to the needs of your specific placement, while also taking your skills and preferences into consideration, typical intern duties can include (but are not limited to):
- Observing treatments and completing reports and/or reflections
- Collaborating with Spanish therapists on diagnoses, treatment planning and case studies
- Researching specific areas of psychology that are relevant to the placement, their clients and their areas of need
- Translating documents for the clinic into English (for internal administration or other communicative needs of the placement)
- Providing general administrative support and customer service to clients
Psychology interns should always come prepared to cooperate with full flexibility and sensitivity, especially while seeking to enhance their cultural intelligence and reflection on approaches that may differ. The inclusion of an intern in any treatment with a patient will always be subject to the clients agreement and relevant confidentiality requirements of the clinic.
You’ll be in regular email contact with your supervisor and have weekly video conferences to discuss projects, progress and receive updates on your work.
This internship is conducted in English but interns with Spanish speaking proficiency can use these skills to their advantage.
Psychology interns learn from a qualified and experienced supervisor, and can be involved in:
- Therapy observation
- Reporting on consultations, diagnoses and treatment plans
- Contributing to new and ongoing research projects
Professional development opportunities:
- Understand patient relationship building and communication
- Experience therapy sessions, diagnosis and treatment planning
- Build report writing skills based on your observations of therapy sessions
- Learn from practicing psychologists in real life situations
- Practice and hone Spanish language skills
- Gain practical skills and boost your employability, with guidance from Intern Abroad HQ’s Experiential Learning Curriculum to support your learning and cultural intelligence.
- As a remote intern, you’ll have the flexibility to work to a schedule that suits both you and your supervisor. Your schedule will need to accommodate online meetings with your supervisor when it’s required, so there will be times where you’ll need to be available during office hours in Spain.
- Develop your experience in a psychological area that interests you
- Experience and collaborate on practical psychology treatment and techniques
- Gain international work experience while interning remotely from home without having to travel
Types of host organizations:
- Private practices
- Non-profit organizations
- Social services
- Healthcare centres
- Psychology clinics
- Sports organizations
Keen to get started?
Taking the first step is easy! It is free to apply and takes just 5 minutes.Submit an application
It’s free to apply for this internship. Once we have reviewed your suitability and accepted you onto this program, you’ll need to pay a deposit of US$449 to confirm your place. The remaining balance of your Program Fee (less your initial US$449 deposit payment) will be due within 7 days of being assigned a placement.
|Internship Duration||Program Fee (USD)|
|100 hours (3 weeks full time, or 5 weeks part time)||100 hour options||$948|
|250 hours (8 weeks full time, or 12 weeks part time)||250 hour options||$1,348|
|350 hours (13 weeks full time, or 17 weeks part time)||350 hour options||$1,648|