This Physical Therapy Internship in Costa Rica is ideal for physical therapists or students wanting to gain genuine physiotherapy experience in a therapy clinic, supporting patients with treatments under the guidance of trained local physicians.
This is an in-country internship, with accommodation and meals provided.
Interns are placed in local clinics that support patients with mobility and chronic pain issues. You’ll assist local clinicians in their daily therapies and appointments, including home visits. Patients often seek treatment to assist with congenital movement issues, diseases, or rehabilitation.
Physical Therapy interns are able to get hands-on experience providing treatment to patients, while being supervised by a local therapist or doctor. This will be based on your individual qualifications and experience.
Interns can also experience therapies in atrophy prevention and diagnoses, as well as helping to develop educational workshops in injury prevention, physical health and fitness, rehabilitation or other topics of your expertise.
It is very important to be proactive, willing to work independently and maintain an open mind - especially during the first two weeks, while you’re establishing a rapport and routine. Note that short-term interns (less than six weeks) are less likely to have hands-on, independent duties, as it takes time to prove yourself and understand the intricacies of physical therapy in Costa Rica.
Physical therapy interns learn from a qualified and experienced supervisor, and can be involved in:
- Therapy to alleviate chronic pain or enable improved movement
- Injury diagnoses
- Developing educational workshops addressing health and therapy issues
Professional development opportunities:
- Work with experienced physical therapists
- Get hands on experience with patients with a variety of conditions
- Learn about standardized therapy techniques
- Gain practical skills and boost your employability, with guidance from Intern Abroad HQ’s Experiential Learning Curriculum to support your learning and cultural intelligence.
- Working hours are usually 6 hours per day, Monday to Friday
- Experience therapy in clinics or home visits
- Carry out therapies relevant to your level of experience
- Help to educate locals in therapy workshops
Types of host organizations:
- Physiotherapy clinics
- Rehabilitation departments
Keen to get started?
Taking the first step is easy! It is free to apply and takes just 5 minutes.Submit an application
It’s free to apply for this internship. Once we have reviewed your suitability and accepted you onto this program, you’ll need to pay a deposit of US$449 to confirm your place. The remaining balance of your Program Fee (less your initial US$449 deposit payment) will be due no less than 60 days before your internship start date.
|Internship Duration||Program Fee (USD)|