This Physical Therapy Internship in Guatemala is ideal for students or professional therapists, with placements in local clinics that treat underprivileged populations a fraction of the normal cost.
This is an in-country internship, with accommodation and meals provided.
Interns are placed in clinics that serve disadvantaged communities, and assist local clinicians in all aspects of their usual workday. Clinics run entirely on donations, and aim to provide free or cheap treatments to locals that have a variety of conditions, including injuries, hereditary conditions, cerebral palsy or atrophy.
Physical Therapy interns are able to get hands-on experience providing physiotherapy treatments to patients, while being supervised by a local therapist or doctor, who can provide guidance and tuition. These treatments will be based on your individual qualifications and experience. Interns can also assist with home visits for patients with limited mobility.
Therapies can be in appointments or assisting walk-in patients, meaning clinics are often busy and the assistance of interns is greatly appreciated.
The wide variety of conditions requires quite a lot of hands and interns are greatly appreciated to treat more people. It is important to be proactive, willing to work independently and maintain an open mind - especially during the first two weeks, while you’re establishing a rapport and routine.
Please note that short-term interns (less than six weeks) are less likely to have hands-on, independent duties, as dedication to learning from the local team is paramount during the introductory period, to understand the requirements of patient care and intricacies of physical therapy in Guatemala.
Physical Therapy interns learn from a qualified and experienced supervisor, and can be involved in:
- Hands-on physiotherapy treatments for a range of conditions
- Assisting local therapists with complex treatments
- Home visits for patients with limited mobility
Professional development opportunities:
- Intern closely with experienced physical therapists
- Work with various treatments tailored to each patient
- Learn about a variety of conditions
- Learn to work with limited resources in an effective way
- Gain practical skills and boost your employability, with guidance from Intern Abroad HQ’s Experiential Learning Curriculum to support your learning and cultural intelligence.
- Working hours are usually 6 hours per day, Monday to Friday
- Gain practical experience relevant to your own level of expertise
- Receive close instruction from your supervisor
- Get real life experience in a clinic with limited resources
Types of host organizations:
- Social welfare physiotherapy clinics
Keen to get started?
Taking the first step is easy! It is free to apply and takes just 5 minutes.Submit an application
It’s free to apply for this internship. Once we have reviewed your suitability and accepted you onto this program, you’ll need to pay a deposit of US$449 to confirm your place. The remaining balance of your Program Fee (less your initial US$449 deposit payment) will be due no less than 60 days before your internship start date.
Program Fee (USD)
|4 weeks||$1,519Equivalent to $54/day|
|5 weeks||$1,637Equivalent to $46/day|
|6 weeks||$1,756Equivalent to $41/day|
|8 weeks||$1,992Equivalent to $35/day|
|10 weeks||$2,213Equivalent to $31/day|
|12 weeks||$2,386Equivalent to $28/day|
|16 weeks||$2,779Equivalent to $24/day|
|20 weeks||$3,139Equivalent to $22/day|
|24 weeks||$3,467Equivalent to $20/day|
- 24/7 in-country support
- Airport pick-up
- Program orientation
- Dedicated support before, during, and after your internship
- In-country guidance for social and tourist activities
- Sourcing and securing your internship placement
- Personalization of your internship plan
- Coaching from your supervisor
- Documented portfolio of your experiential learnings
- International reference letter
- Certificate of Internship Completion
- Visa (if required), flights, travel insurance (mandatory), vaccinations, criminal background check
- Transfer back to the airport at the end of your internship program
- Optional extras, such as language lessons
- Souvenirs and leisure activities during your free time
- Personal spending money to cover basic expenses such as drinks, snacks, laundry, public transportation, and any meals not included in your Program Fee
- A deposit of $449 USD is required to secure your internship
- Balance of your Program Fee is due 60 days before your internship start date.
- All payments attract a 5% transaction fee to cover international banking fees and currency charges.
- Terms and Conditions apply.