This Physical Therapy Internship in Guatemala is ideal for students or professional therapists, with placements in local clinics that treat underprivileged populations a fraction of the normal cost.
This is an in-country internship, with accommodation and meals provided.
Interns are placed in clinics that serve disadvantaged communities, and assist local clinicians in all aspects of their usual workday. Clinics run entirely on donations, and aim to provide free or cheap treatments to locals that have a variety of conditions, including injuries, hereditary conditions, cerebral palsy or atrophy.
Physical Therapy interns are able to get hands-on experience providing physiotherapy treatments to patients, while being supervised by a local therapist or doctor, who can provide guidance and tuition. These treatments will be based on your individual qualifications and experience. Interns can also assist with home visits for patients with limited mobility.
Therapies can be in appointments or assisting walk-in patients, meaning clinics are often busy and the assistance of interns is greatly appreciated.
The wide variety of conditions requires quite a lot of hands and interns are greatly appreciated to treat more people. It is important to be proactive, willing to work independently and maintain an open mind - especially during the first two weeks, while you’re establishing a rapport and routine.
Please note that short-term interns (less than six weeks) are less likely to have hands-on, independent duties, as dedication to learning from the local team is paramount during the introductory period, to understand the requirements of patient care and intricacies of physical therapy in Guatemala.
Physical Therapy interns learn from a qualified and experienced supervisor, and can be involved in:
- Hands-on physiotherapy treatments for a range of conditions
- Assisting local therapists with complex treatments
- Home visits for patients with limited mobility
Professional development opportunities:
- Intern closely with experienced physical therapists
- Work with various treatments tailored to each patient
- Learn about a variety of conditions
- Learn to work with limited resources in an effective way
- Gain practical skills and boost your employability, with guidance from Intern Abroad HQ’s Experiential Learning Curriculum to support your learning and cultural intelligence.
- Working hours are usually 6 hours per day, Monday to Friday
- Gain practical experience relevant to your own level of expertise
- Receive close instruction from your supervisor
- Get real life experience in a clinic with limited resources
Types of host organizations:
- Social welfare physiotherapy clinics
Keen to get started?
Taking the first step is easy! It is free to apply and takes just 5 minutes.Submit an application
It’s free to apply for this internship. Once we have reviewed your suitability and accepted you onto this program, you’ll need to pay a deposit of US$449 to confirm your place. The remaining balance of your Program Fee (less your initial US$449 deposit payment) will be due no less than 60 days before your internship start date.
|Internship Duration||Program Fee (USD)|
|4 weeks||4 weeks||$1,519|
|5 weeks||5 weeks||$1,637|
|6 weeks||6 weeks||$1,756|
|8 weeks||8 weeks||$1,992|
|10 weeks||10 weeks||$2,213|
|12 weeks||12 weeks||$2,386|
|16 weeks||16 weeks||$2,779|
|20 weeks||20 weeks||$3,139|
|24 weeks||24 weeks||$3,467|