The role of an Occupational Therapy intern in Cape Town is to work alongside local professionals, who help those that are struggling to improve or regain skills and mobility. You’ll gain insight into the stigmas and obstacles faced by individuals within marginalized communities, help to increase independence and self-esteem, while contributing to reversing negative societal attitudes.
Typical internship placements for Occupational Therapy in Cape Town can include children’s hospitals, special education schools, or care facilities for those with disabilities. Occupational therapy centers provide a variety of medical and developmental diagnosis, which may cover traumatic brain injuries, trauma, oncology, burns, feeding disorders, autism, facial palsy, Down syndrome, and lymphedema.
Although daily tasks will vary widely, interns generally assist with the day-to-day care and rehabilitation of patients. This can include physical therapy or treatment, educational and vocational training, and counseling. Interns are always matched to a suitable placement, according to an analysis of their skills, experience, educational background, and duration of stay.
|“I spent 6 weeks in Cape Town, South Africa doing an occupational therapy internship. I had the best 6 weeks of my life, and learned so much in such a short time. I was able to experience the incredibly welcoming culture of SA, gain valuable observation hours which will help me in the future, meet tons of awesome fellow interns and students, and experience many of the awesome activities and beauty of Cape Town and the surrounding area has to offer. I wish I could have spent so much more time here. Thank you to Intern Abroad HQ for answering all of my questions and making sure I was prepared and informed before my trip, as well as providing support during the trip if I ever needed it. To anyone who is thinking of doing an internship - don’t let fear hold you back! Take an open mind, be flexible and enjoy your experience abroad!” - Kaelyn Ratcliffe, USA|
|Internship Duration||Program Fee (USD)|
- To convert these prices to your local currency visit the XE currency converter.
- All Intern Abroad programs attract a Registration Fee of US$299 in addition to the Program Fee.
- All payments attract a 5% transaction fee to cover international banking fees and currency charges. International wire transfer payments attract a minimum fee of US$75.
- * Terms and Conditions do apply
What extra costs will I have?
- Visa, flights, travel insurance (mandatory), vaccinations, criminal background check.
- Transfer back to the airport at conclusion of the program.
- Language lessons (optional)
- Souvenirs + tourism/leisure activities during free time.
- Personal spending money to cover basic expenses such as meals and public transportation. Interns generally find US$120 per week to be sufficient.