Learn practical occupational therapy skills and gain real life experience assisting qualified therapists in clinics, care facilities, hospitals and schools as an Occupational Therapy intern. Help to provide treatment and diagnosis, learning from experienced professionals and assisting individuals with a range of specific care needs.
This is an in-country internship, with accommodation provided.
Interns on this Occupational Therapy internship in Cape Town build upon your theoretical knowledge foundations by experiencing practical applications alongside local professionals. Gain insight into a wide range of treatments as you help those that are struggling to improve or regain skills and mobility. You’ll gain insight into the stigmas and obstacles faced by individuals within marginalized communities, help to increase independence and self-esteem, while contributing to reversing negative societal attitudes about disability.
Typical placements for Occupational Therapy interns include children’s hospitals, special education schools, or care facilities for those with disabilities. You can also hone your skills at occupational therapy centers, which provide specialist care for those with issues such as traumatic brain injuries, trauma, oncology, burns, feeding disorders, autism, facial palsy, Down syndrome, and lymphedema.
Although daily tasks will vary widely and are influenced by your own skills and experience, interns generally assist with the day-to-day care and rehabilitation of patients. This can include physical therapy or treatment, educational and vocational training, and counseling. Interns are matched to a suitable placement that matches your skills, experience, educational background, and duration of your stay.
In your spare time, you’ll be able to enjoy the vibrant city of Cape Town. If you have a passion for being active and the great outdoors, then you’ll love the adventurous spirit of the city. Nestled between the South Atlantic Ocean and the Table Mountain National Park, you could hike and surf in the same day! (You may need a wetsuit to keep warm in the water but the penguins at Boulders Beach seem happy with the temperature!) The city scene has a thriving culture and arts community, there are excellent historical attractions to teach you about the country’s heritage, as well as wineries and delicious dining establishments. Further afield, you’ll enjoy the scenic Garden Route or a trip to the Cape Point Peninsula.
This internship is conducted in English.
Occupational therapy interns learn from a qualified and experienced supervisor, and can be involved in:
- Shadowing and assisting in therapy sessions
- Educational and workplace training
- Counseling in assistance with professional staff
- Assisting with general clerical support
Professional development opportunities:
- Learn how experienced therapists conduct therapy sessions
- Gain specialized knowledge in the treatment of specific conditions
- Understand how patient relationships are built and managed
- Gain understanding of the day-to-day life of an occupational therapist
- Build communication skills
- Gain practical skills and boost your employability, with guidance from Intern Abroad HQ’s Experiential Learning Curriculum to support your learning and cultural intelligence.
- Monday to Friday, 9am - 5pm
- Gain experience applying your theoretical knowledge in real life therapy sessions
- Contribute to rehabilitation and treatment for people with a range of conditions
- Enjoy spare time exploring the unique and eclectic city of Cape Town, and wider South Africa
Types of host organizations:
- Healthcare clinics
- Care facilities
Keen to get started?
Taking the first step is easy! It is free to apply and takes just 5 minutes.Submit an application
It’s free to apply for this internship. Once we have reviewed your suitability and accepted you onto this program, you’ll need to pay a deposit of US$449 to confirm your place. The remaining balance of your Program Fee (less your initial US$449 deposit payment) will be due no less than 60 days before your internship start date.
|Internship Duration||Program Fee (USD)|