This Physical Therapy internship in Cusco is a perfect opportunity for physical therapy students to gain experience relevant to your current level of qualification. Interns can expect to be assisting local therapists in Peru, and a range of placements are available for interns at all levels of therapy studies.
This is an in-country internship, with accommodation and meals provided.
Regardless of your physiotherapy experience, interns can expect to be paired with a local therapist, providing assistance wherever it’s needed. Interns can help with individual therapies for people with a range of requirements, including therapeutic massage, ultrasound, kinetic therapy, movement and rehabilitation.
An example of a popular Physical Therapy internship placement is in special needs education schools for students between 3-20 years old. Students often require close attention, so they work in small classes of up to ten. Interns support a local physiotherapist providing therapy throughout the day to students with a range of cognitive, developmental and physical challenges. You’re also able to support local teachers in both lessons and skill development games. This placement is not available during school breaks from December to March, and for two weeks in June/July.
Another popular placement is at physiotherapy centers, which is better suited to more experienced interns. The center specializes in treating neuromuscular problems, rheumatism, pain and paediatric problems. Interns assist therapists providing treatments including magnetic therapy, infrared, ultrasound, health, massage and kinetic therapy. You’ll help from 8.30am - 1pm and/or 2.30 - 5.30pm, and can expect to see between 6-8 patients per day.
Physical Therapy interns who stay longer in Cusco are more likely to have a hands-on role, as you’re better able to build relationships and learn how to carry out certain tasks. Interns are required to speak Spanish at an intermediate level in order to join this internship. Interns who can speak Spanish confidently will have an easier time communicating with both patients and your supervisor, which improves your engagement and ability to work on independent tasks.
Cusco is world-renowned as the closest city to Machu Picchu, Peru’s most popular tourist attraction. It’s a city for adventurous travelers that enjoy the outdoors, particularly hiking and photography. There are plenty of world-class walks to explore in your spare time, and Cusco also offers a unique culturally immersive experience that’s perfect for outgoing interns!
Physical Therapy interns learn from a qualified and experienced supervisor, and can be involved in:
- Helping with therapies for disabled students and other individuals
- Shadowing and assisting local therapists
- Magnetic therapy
- Kinetic therapy
- Helping to organize and support daily therapies
Professional development opportunities:
- Observe therapy treatments in a foreign environment
- Understand how therapy is provided to children with disabilities
- Assist with a range of therapy treatments for a range of patients
- Practice and develop Spanish language proficiency within a professional setting
- Gain practical skills and boost your employability, with guidance from Intern Abroad HQ’s Experiential Learning Curriculum to support your learning and cultural intelligence.
- Monday - Friday, 4 hours per day
- Learn by observing and helping therapists in real appointment settings
- Get physical therapy experience to match your own experience
- Experience Cusco, one of the world’s most popular tourism cities
Types of host organizations:
- Private therapy clinics
- Special education schools
Keen to get started?
Taking the first step is easy! It is free to apply and takes just 5 minutes.Submit an application
It’s free to apply for this internship. Once we have reviewed your suitability and accepted you onto this program, you’ll need to pay a deposit of US$449 to confirm your place. The remaining balance of your Program Fee (less your initial US$449 deposit payment) will be due no less than 60 days before your internship start date.
Program Fee (USD)
|2 weeks||$994Equivalent to $71/day|
|3 weeks||$1,129Equivalent to $53/day|
|4 weeks||$1,264Equivalent to $45/day|
|5 weeks||$1,399Equivalent to $39/day|
|6 weeks||$1,534Equivalent to $36/day|
|8 weeks||$1,804Equivalent to $32/day|
|10 weeks||$2,074Equivalent to $29/day|
|12 weeks||$2,344Equivalent to $27/day|
|16 weeks||$2,884Equivalent to $25/day|
|20 weeks||$3,424Equivalent to $24/day|
|24 weeks||$3,964Equivalent to $23/day|
- 24/7 in-country support
- Airport pick-up
- Program orientation
- Dedicated support before, during, and after your internship
- In-country guidance for social and tourist activities
- Sourcing and securing your internship placement
- Personalization of your internship plan
- Coaching from your supervisor
- Documented portfolio of your experiential learnings
- International reference letter
- Certificate of Internship Completion
- Visa (if required), flights, travel insurance (mandatory), vaccinations, criminal background check
- Transfer back to the airport at the end of your internship program
- Optional extras, such as language lessons
- Souvenirs and leisure activities during your free time
- Personal spending money to cover basic expenses such as drinks, snacks, laundry, public transportation, and any meals not included in your Program Fee
- A deposit of $449 USD is required to secure your internship
- Please note: The medical internship programs (Physician’s Assistant, Dentistry, Midwifery, Psychology and Physiotherapy) have an extra surcharge of US$15 per week, for extra supervision, materials and logistics involved. This amount will be included in the Program Fee quoted to you when you apply.
- Balance of your Program Fee is due 60 days before your internship start date.
- All payments attract a 5% transaction fee to cover international banking fees and currency charges.
- Terms and Conditions apply.