Physical Therapy internships offer the chance to learn by shadowing local therapists in day-to-day consultations with patients in Cape Town. Interns are placed in centers for disabled children, fitness or rehabilitation centers, offering real life experience and unique learning opportunities.
This is an in-country internship, with accommodation provided.
As a physical therapy student, the best learning experiences come from observing real therapy sessions in action. This is exactly what you’ll get as a Physical Therapy intern in South Africa. You’ll intern alongside an experienced local physiotherapist and shadow in clinics to learn a wide range of therapy techniques and approaches for patients with different needs.
Your Physical Therapy internship will be customized to suit your experience and skills, ensuring you are sufficiently challenged and that your learning is relevant. Your exact placement will be made based on your skills, experience, educational background, and duration of your stay, though interns are not likely to be conducting hands-on therapy sessions. Interns are encouraged to submit full details of your study and experience in your application in order to match you with the best placement possible.
During your weekends, you can visit a wide range of attractions around Cape Town, such as the District Six Museum, Robben Island, and the Zeitz Museum of Contemporary Art Africa. These excellent sites can provide more understanding of South Africa’s history, to deepen the immersive and cultural experience of your internship. There are also beautiful scenic attractions that you won’t want to miss - whether hiking Table Mountain, Signal Hill or Lion’s Head for panoramic views of the city, relaxing on the beaches, or meandering along the Garden Route to visit wineries, you’ll find that there is never a dull moment. If you don’t want to visit Africa without planning a safari, let us know! Our team in Cape Town will help you arrange an ethical, responsible and unforgettable tour.
This internship is conducted in English. Some therapy sessions may be conducted in local languages, but your supervisor will be able to provide full debriefs afterwards.
Physical Therapy interns learn from a qualified and experienced supervisor, and can be involved in:
- Observing therapy sessions
- Assisting with exercises and treatments
Professional development opportunities:
- Learn from an experienced physical therapist
- Develop understanding of symptoms and treatments for a wide range of patient conditions
- Learn how to build and manage patient relationships
- Build communication skills in a professional environment
- Gain practical skills and boost your employability, with guidance from Intern Abroad HQ’s Experiential Learning Curriculum to support your learning and cultural intelligence.
- Monday to Friday, approximately from 9am - 3pm (your specific schedule will be confirmed when your placement is assigned).
- Build your practical understanding by observing real life therapy sessions
- Gain a practical understanding into the exact day-to-day duties of therapists
- Enjoy spare time exploring the unique and eclectic city of Cape Town, and wider South Africa
Types of host organizations:
- Disability centers
- Fitness centers
- Rehabilitation clinics
Keen to get started?
Taking the first step is easy! It is free to apply and takes just 5 minutes.Submit an application
It’s free to apply for this internship. Once we have reviewed your suitability and accepted you onto this program, you’ll need to pay a deposit of US$449 to confirm your place. The remaining balance of your Program Fee (less your initial US$449 deposit payment) will be due no less than 60 days before your internship start date.
Program Fee (USD)
|2 weeks||$1,418Equivalent to $101/day|
|3 weeks||$1,556Equivalent to $74/day|
|4 weeks||$1,694Equivalent to $60/day|
|5 weeks||$1,832Equivalent to $52/day|
|6 weeks||$1,970Equivalent to $46/day|
|8 weeks||$2,246Equivalent to $40/day|
|10 weeks||$2,729Equivalent to $38/day|
|12 weeks||$3,005Equivalent to $35/day|
|16 weeks||$3,557Equivalent to $31/day|
|20 weeks||$4,109Equivalent to $29/day|
|24 weeks||$4,661Equivalent to $27/day|
- 24/7 in-country support
- Airport pick-up
- Program orientation
- Dedicated support before, during, and after your internship
- In-country guidance for social and tourist activities
- Sourcing and securing your internship placement
- Personalization of your internship plan
- Coaching from your supervisor
- Documented portfolio of your experiential learnings
- International reference letter
- Certificate of Internship Completion
- Visa (if required), flights, travel insurance (mandatory), vaccinations, criminal background check
- Transfer back to the airport at the end of your internship program
- Optional extras, such as language lessons
- Souvenirs and leisure activities during your free time
- Personal spending money to cover basic expenses such as drinks, snacks, laundry, public transportation, and any meals not included in your Program Fee
- A deposit of $449 USD is required to secure your internship
- Balance of your Program Fee is due 60 days before your internship start date.
- All payments attract a 5% transaction fee to cover international banking fees and currency charges.
- Terms and Conditions apply.