This is an immensely rewarding teaching experience in Costa Rica, providing hands-on care and teaching assistance in dedicated centers for disabled children and adults.
Special education centers in Costa Rica provide dedicated education and care to locals with a range of mental and physical disabilities. These centers play an important role in delivering targeted services that address the specific needs of the children and adults who attend them. They rely on volunteers and donations to run, so interns provide valuable assistance in all range of teaching and care duties.
Special education interns are placed in centers or schools around San Ramon de Alajuela, assisting local staff with all parts of their day. This is a fully immersive special education internship, where you’ll experience everything that goes into providing care for those with specific needs.
Interns help to teach various classes (such as handicrafts, painting, and reading), assisting students and staff, helping to create educational material and planning classes. Assistance may also be required during the day when students have their meal time. Your primary role is to be caring and encouraging, and contribute to a supportive learning environment.
Special Education interns learn from a qualified and experienced supervisor, and can be involved in:
- Preparing and teaching classes
- Creating educational material
- Helping students with meal times
- General care for students
Professional development opportunities:
- Work with students with variety of mental and physical conditions
- Work alongside experienced staff that deal with disabled children and adults
- Help create games and educational material tailored to different student’s needs
- 8am to 2pm, Monday to Friday
- Genuine experience in special education
- The chance to work closely with individuals and see them making progress
- Contribute to dedicated care providers that rely on volunteers
Types of host organizations:
- Organizations that support mentally and physically disabled individuals
Keen to get started?
Taking the first step is easy! It is free to apply and takes just 5 minutes.Submit an application
It’s free to apply for this internship. Once we have reviewed your suitability and accepted you onto this program, you’ll need to pay a deposit of US$449 to confirm your place. The remaining balance of your Program Fee (less your initial US$449 deposit payment) will be due no less than 60 days before your internship start date.
|Internship Duration||Program Fee (USD)|