Special Education interns play an important role in supplementing the education and development of disabled students in Peru. By assisting local teachers at a specialist school, interns help to provide dedicated support and care for students, some of whom require close attention, helping with their needs and encouraging a fun learning environment.
This is an in-country internship, with accommodation and meals provided.
Cusco has a number of special education primary schools, dedicated to helping disabled students overcome their challenges and giving them access to education and developmental opportunities. Many students have high dependency, so Special Education interns help teachers at these schools to provide the level of care that helps students to flourish.
Interns act as assistant teachers during lessons, providing individual assistance and working with students on learning tasks. You can help to organize classes, create learning materials and activities and provide support to the teacher wherever it’s needed.
Interns can also help around the school with recreational activities and games, fostering social, behavioral and physical development. A common goal in these games is to help students have fun, and interns are encouraged to use your creativity and initiative in this regard.
The school also has a range of specialists that come and work with students, and interns can assist specialists where it’s required. This can include helping with therapy, medical treatments, language specialists and nutritionists.
Interns should understand that working with students with special needs can be demanding. Experience in a special education environment is not required, but a flexible, patient attitude and willingness to help out will help you to handle the requirements of your internship. Interns are encouraged to ask questions, and to always look for things you can help out with when other tasks have been completed. This approach will help you to become more integrated within their placement. An open mind and commitment to learning is essential.
Schools operate Monday to Friday, from 8.30am to 11.30am and 3pm to 5.30pm. This internship is closed during school holidays in January and February, and from July 26 - August 15.
Cusco is world-renowned as the closest city to Machu Picchu, Peru’s most popular tourist attraction. It’s a city for adventurous travelers that enjoy the outdoors, particularly hiking and photography. There are plenty of world-class walks to explore in your spare time, and Cusco also offers a unique culturally immersive experience that’s perfect for outgoing interns!
For all interns with an interest in developing skills as an educator, we also recommend an interactive Online TEFL Certification Course. The training offers tools and techniques over a 100-hour program. Upon completion, you’ll have earned experience in planning, designing, and adapting diverse language activities and materials. No previous teaching experience or training is required. You can sign up for the Online TEFL Certification Course anytime and you’ll pay the discounted Intern Abroad HQ rate.
Special Education interns learn from a qualified and experienced supervisor, and can be involved in:
- Helping disabled students one-on-one
- Preparing lessons and educational activities
- Assisting local teachers in lessons
- Assisting medical and behavioral specialists
- General care of disabled students
- Taking part in fun activities
Professional development opportunities:
- Learn how to interact and stimulate students with a range of disabilities
- Get experience developing educational materials and activities for disabled students
- Practice and develop Spanish language proficiency within a professional setting
- Experience how dedicated special education schools operate
- Gain practical skills and boost your employability, with guidance from Intern Abroad HQ’s Experiential Learning Curriculum to support your learning and cultural intelligence.
- Monday - Friday, 5 hours per day
- Build relationships with students with disabilities as you foster a fun learning environment
- Learn from local teachers about the requirements of special education
- Experience Cusco, one of the world’s most popular tourism cities
Types of host organizations:
- Special education schools
Keen to get started?
Taking the first step is easy! It is free to apply and takes just 5 minutes.Submit an application
It’s free to apply for this internship. Once we have reviewed your suitability and accepted you onto this program, you’ll need to pay a deposit of US$449 to confirm your place. The remaining balance of your Program Fee (less your initial US$449 deposit payment) will be due no less than 60 days before your internship start date.
Program Fee (USD)
|2 weeks||$994Equivalent to $71/day|
|3 weeks||$1,129Equivalent to $53/day|
|4 weeks||$1,264Equivalent to $45/day|
|5 weeks||$1,399Equivalent to $39/day|
|6 weeks||$1,534Equivalent to $36/day|
|8 weeks||$1,804Equivalent to $32/day|
|10 weeks||$2,074Equivalent to $29/day|
|12 weeks||$2,344Equivalent to $27/day|
|16 weeks||$2,884Equivalent to $25/day|
|20 weeks||$3,424Equivalent to $24/day|
|24 weeks||$3,964Equivalent to $23/day|
- 24/7 in-country support
- Airport pick-up
- Program orientation
- Dedicated support before, during, and after your internship
- In-country guidance for social and tourist activities
- Sourcing and securing your internship placement
- Personalization of your internship plan
- Coaching from your supervisor
- Documented portfolio of your experiential learnings
- International reference letter
- Certificate of Internship Completion
- Visa (if required), flights, travel insurance (mandatory), vaccinations, criminal background check
- Transfer back to the airport at the end of your internship program
- Optional extras, such as language lessons
- Souvenirs and leisure activities during your free time
- Personal spending money to cover basic expenses such as drinks, snacks, laundry, public transportation, and any meals not included in your Program Fee
- A deposit of $449 USD is required to secure your internship
- Please note: The medical internship programs (Physician’s Assistant, Dentistry, Midwifery, Psychology and Physiotherapy) have an extra surcharge of US$15 per week, for extra supervision, materials and logistics involved. This amount will be included in the Program Fee quoted to you when you apply.
- Balance of your Program Fee is due 60 days before your internship start date.
- All payments attract a 5% transaction fee to cover international banking fees and currency charges.
- Terms and Conditions apply.