This Youth Development and Education internship in Peru has a broad scope for interns to assist young people with a range of developmental activities. Interns can help in the classroom, with tutoring, role-modelling, playing games or tending to specific developmental needs. This is a highly customizable internship working with young people in ways that benefit both you and them!
Young people have an array of different needs as they grow up, and this internship is designed to address the full breadth of those needs. This internship is well suited to anyone considering a career in mentoring, teaching, social work or providing any kind of developmental assistance to young people in particular.
Internship placements are customized for each intern based on your strengths and interests. Interns are matched with causes that best enable you to work in the area of your preference, such as helping young people with schoolwork or skill development, or providing care through basic tasks such as cooking meals.
Interns can be based in schools, kindergartens or on after school programs as an English teacher, tutor, or helping with homework, sports, music or arts. All interns must have a basic understanding of Spanish language; however, interns with a higher proficiency of Spanish language skills are also able to run health workshops on topics such as self esteem, nutrition, hygiene etc.
After-school placements provide a safe and comfortable environment for children to receive supervision and educational support, while their parents have to work. Interns can assist in a wide range of activities, with the ultimate goal of entertaining young people and helping to supplement their social and educational development.
There is no fixed structure for this internship and it is important to be proactive. Interns with a flexible approach and willingness to help out wherever it’s needed will get the most out of your time in Peru. Having basic to intermediate Spanish will help you to communicate with both students and local staff in Peru.
Youth Development & Education interns learn from a qualified and experienced supervisor, and can be involved in:
- Caring for children of all ages
- Tutoring and helping students with homework
- Teaching English or other lessons of your choosing
- Organizing and running activities and workshops
- Playing games
- Designing new learning activities or tasks
Professional development opportunities:
- Work closely with young students to understand how they learn and develop
- Learn about formal and informal education and development, both inside and outside the classroom
- Experience the education system in Peru
- Polish Spanish language skills in an immersive environment
- Gain practical skills and boost your employability, with guidance from Intern Abroad HQ’s Experiential Learning Curriculum to support your learning and cultural intelligence.
- Monday - Friday, 4 hours per day
- Help young people in a holistic way to foster their development
- Gain relevant experience to your specific career in youth education through a customized experience
- Experience Cusco, one of the world’s most popular tourism cities
- Polish your Spanish language skills
Types of host organizations:
- After school centers
|“This was one of the best experiences of my life and would do it all over again in a heartbeat. To anyone considering, just do it! It was a last second decision for me and it was the best decision I could’ve made. I interned with a group of kids after school and absolutely loved planning activities and games for them. The kids are absolutely darling, and I miss the time I spent with them and the lady I worked with every day. I also learned so much about the Spanish culture and language (the kids loved helping), and the memories I have will stay with me forever!” - Natalie Reese, USA|
Keen to get started?
Taking the first step is easy! It is free to apply and takes just 5 minutes.Submit an application
It’s free to apply for this internship. Once we have reviewed your suitability and accepted you onto this program, you’ll need to pay a deposit of US$449 to confirm your place. The remaining balance of your Program Fee (less your initial US$449 deposit payment) will be due no less than 60 days before your internship start date.
|Internship Duration||Program Fee (USD)|
Please note: The medical internship programs (Physician’s Assistant, Dentistry, Midwifery, Psychology and Physiotherapy) have an extra surcharge of US$15 per week, for extra supervision, materials and logistics involved. This amount will be included in the Program Fee quoted to you when you apply.