This internship in girls educational development is a unique opportunity to support bright and talented teenage women in leadership academies in Tanzania. Interns work one-on-one with girls, building strong relationships and helping to support their education. Gain understanding of social issues and empower young women to fulfil their potential.
This is a remote internship conducted in English that you can conduct from home.
If you’re passionate about helping young women to succeed in school and in life, then this internship is perfect for you. Gender discrimination in the workplace is a major issue in Tanzania, where women are often expected to fulfil traditional domestic roles. Interns support the next generation of talented young women by enhancing their opportunities for education and helping to build their confidence so they may to strive for successful careers.
Girls Empowerment interns assist in leadership academies for girls aged between 13-18. These girls come from a range of backgrounds, and have been identified in their schools and communities as being exceptionally bright. The academies aim to foster their development even further and help them to achieve their goals. Interns act as mentors to the girls, specifically targeting three areas: academic, personal and social development.
The academic support you provide is in assisting with homework, assignments, or studying for tests or exams. This can include a range of subjects, but you’re able to utilize online resources and ask questions of your supervisor if you need assistance. Your goal is not to be a teacher, but to encourage the girls to recall information from their classes.
Personal support is based around helping each girl’s self esteem and confidence. You’ll talk to them about their lives and their challenges, helping them to understand how to face any obstacles and encouraging them to set and achieve goals.
The social development side of the internship comes from educating the girls about contemporary social issues such as inequality, unemployment, and teenage pregnancy. Your aim in this regard is to help girls to understand societal issues and ways in which they might approach them.
Interns are paired with girls and have 1-2 internet meetings with each girl per week to provide customized support and mentoring wherever they need it. These sessions are designed to be conversations rather than lessons, and run for between 1-2 hours. You’ll be in communication via email or WhatsApp during the week to check in on their progress and to decide on the nature of each session. Interns are expected to research and prepare for each call and your supervisor is available to help you with this.
It is very important for you to collaborate with your supervisor on various themes, to develop cultural intelligence and an understanding of different perspectives and belief systems. As an intern, you will receive guidance from your supervisor on how to treat topics sensitively and appropriately.
For all interns with an interest in developing skills as an educator, we also recommend an interactive Online TEFL Certification Course. The training offers tools and techniques over a 100-hour program. Upon completion, you’ll have earned experience in planning, designing, and adapting diverse language activities and materials. No previous teaching experience or training is required. You can sign up for the Online TEFL Certification Course anytime and you’ll pay the discounted Intern Abroad HQ rate.
This internship is conducted in English.
Girls Education Support interns learn from a qualified and experienced supervisor, and can be involved in:
- Helping girls with supplementary schoolwork, study or assignments
- Building the self esteem and confidence of young women
- Talking to girls about social issues that affect both their lives and people around the world
Professional development opportunities:
- Gain experience mentoring and educating highly capable girls between 13-18 years old
- Gain an understanding of personal challenges for girls in Tanzania, and how to help them overcome their unique issues
- Research contemporary social issues and gain experience talking about them with teenage girls
- Build relationships with both local staff who help to foster the development of young girls, and highly capable girls in Tanzania.
- Gain practical skills and boost your employability, with guidance from Intern Abroad HQ’s Experiential Learning Curriculum to support your learning and cultural intelligence.
- Virtual interns must manage their own time successfully. You’ll have the flexibility to work to a schedule that suits both you and your supervisor. However, you will need to accommodate online meetings with both your supervisor and the girls you’re mentoring, so you will need to check that your time zone and availability is going to be compatible with working hours in Tanzania.
- Build meaningful relationships with highly capable young women in Tanzania
- Help the development of young women and encourage them to achieve their academic and life goals
- See the benefits of your internship through improved confidence, goal setting and achievements of the girls.
- Gain international work experience while interning remotely from home without having to travel
Types of host organizations:
- Leadership academies for young women in Tanzania
Keen to get started?
Taking the first step is easy! It is free to apply and takes just 5 minutes.Submit an application
It’s free to apply for this internship. Once we have reviewed your suitability and accepted you onto this program, you’ll need to pay a deposit of US$449 to confirm your place. The remaining balance of your Program Fee (less your initial US$449 deposit payment) will be due within 7 days of being assigned a placement.
|Internship Duration||Program Fee (USD)|