Gain practical experience remotely on this virtual education internship in primary and secondary education out of Tanzania.
This is a remote internship conducted in English that you can conduct from home.
This remote education internship out of Tanzania is an opportunity to support a teacher in Africa in their everyday work. This is an excellent way to gain experience within an educational setting from your home, with mentoring from a local teacher. You will be greatly appreciated by Tanzanian teachers, who are often in charge of classes of up to 70 students and face the challenges of being under-resourced.
Online education interns help local teachers to prepare lessons, worksheets and activities in accordance with the local curriculum, marking students’ work and giving constructive feedback, and assessing learning success. You’ll be required to assess students’ developmental levels via their educational tasks and assessments and draft supplementary learning plans and resources where needed.
Participants on this remote education internship will receive feedback from the local teacher on your lessons, including grading and personal development advice. Interns can evaluate the success of their own lesson plans and see how different approaches maximize learning. Please note that a lack of technology within most Tanzanian classrooms means remote education internships do not involve teaching students directly. However, this benefits remote interns by ensuring a flexible schedule, as it is not a requirement to participate in exact accordance with the Tanzanian timezone.
Virtual internships in education from Tanzania are available at elementary school, middle school and high school levels, and where possible,interns can request to be placed with students of a certain age. Internship activities are conducted in English language and focused on English language teaching. Other subjects are taught in the local language. Interns at middle school and high school levels may be able to assist with other subjects, where students have a higher proficiency level of English.
For all interns with an interest in developing skills as an educator, we also recommend an interactive Online TEFL Certification Course. The training offers tools and techniques over a 100-hour program. Upon completion, you’ll have earned experience in planning, designing, and adapting diverse language activities and materials. No previous teaching experience or training is required. You can sign up for the Online TEFL Certification Course anytime and you’ll pay the discounted Intern Abroad HQ rate.
Education support interns learn from a qualified and experienced supervisor, and can be involved in:
- Helping prepare lessons, resources and worksheets in advance
- Marking students work and provide feedback
- Assessing student developmental levels
- Supporting English language teaching as a fluent English speaker
- Preparing supplementary learning tasks for students that require them
Professional development opportunities:
- Learn how to plan lessons, taking into consideration cultural factors, large class sizes, and minimal resourcing
- Understand what makes effective educational materials
- Evaluating students’ learning outcomes and making recommendations for remedial work
- Learn how to teach English as a foreign language
- Gain practical skills and boost your employability, with guidance from Intern Abroad HQ’s Experiential Learning Curriculum to support your learning and cultural intelligence
As a remote intern, you’ll have the flexibility to work to a schedule that suits both you and your supervisor. Your schedule will need to accommodate online meetings with your supervisor when it’s required, so there will be times where you’ll need to be available during office hours in Tanzania.
- Learn from a local teacher about how to provide education in a public school in East Africa
- Understand traditions and changes in the educational system
- Support the education of students at elementary, middle school and high school levels
- Experience how different lesson plans translate to learning outcomes
- See how your work benefits the education of underprivileged children
- Gain practical career experience from home without having to travel
Types of host organizations:
- Public schools at primary, secondary and high school level
Keen to get started?
Taking the first step is easy! It is free to apply and takes just 5 minutes.Submit an application
It’s free to apply for this internship. Once we have reviewed your suitability and accepted you onto this program, you’ll need to pay a deposit of US$449 to confirm your place. The remaining balance of your Program Fee (less your initial US$449 deposit payment) will be due within 7 days of being assigned a placement.
Program Fee (USD)
|100 hours (3 weeks full time, or 5 weeks part time)||$948|
|250 hours (8 weeks full time, or 12 weeks part time)||$1,348|
|350 hours (13 weeks full time, or 17 weeks part time)||$1,648|
- Dedicated support before, during, and after your internship
- Sourcing and securing your internship placement
- Personalization of your internship plan
- Orientation and coaching with your supervisor
- Documented portfolio of your experiential learnings
- International reference letter
- Certificate of Internship Completion
- A deposit of $449 USD is required to secure your internship
- Balance of your Program Fee is due within 7 days of being assigned a placement.
- All payments attract a 5% transaction fee to cover international banking fees and currency charges.
- International wire transfer payments attract a minimum fee of $75 USD.
- Terms and Conditions apply.