This healthcare internship in Costa Rica is ideal for healthcare students who want to deepen their medical or nursing experience from pre-med level and higher through placements in clinics and hospitals, learning from local professionals.
This is an in-country internship, with accommodation and meals provided.
Free healthcare is provided to citizens in Costa Rica, but resources are limited and help is always needed. Healthcare internships are based in the town of San Ramon de Alajuela and neighboring communities, where interns assist in healthcare clinics.
Pre-med healthcare internships are typically based in health support schools, elderly homes, chronic pain clinics, and on programs for people with disabilities. Pre-med interns can support local nurses and staff with a range of tasks, including administering medicines, treating small ailments, keeping medical records, conducting health workshops, assisting with mealtime, therapies, and other basic duties.
More experienced interns can assist alongside local doctors and nurses, typically in rural clinics or hospitals. Healthcare interns can shadow doctors as they treat patients, help to arrange medical supplies, assist during emergency situations, and help with health awareness workshops.
Please note that specific placements will always vary based on your medical experience and patient requirements. Short-term interns can expect to have an introductory experience, as the initial period of your internship is about understanding the local healthcare system, and Spanish-speaking interns are more likely to have greater independence.
Healthcare interns learn from a qualified and experienced supervisor, and can be involved in:
- Administering medicines
- Treating ailments
- Keeping medical records
- Conducting health workshops
- Assisting with mealtime
- Shadowing doctors and nurses
- Arranging medical supplies
- Emergency situations
- Helping to prepare and run health awareness workshops
Professional development opportunities:
- Learning from experienced medical staff
- Work within the Costa Rican health system
- Practical experience seeing how healthcare clinics and hospitals run
- Gain practical skills and boost your employability, with guidance from Intern Abroad HQ’s Experiential Learning Curriculum to support your learning and cultural intelligence.
- 8am to 3pm, Monday to Friday
- Working side by side with healthcare professionals
- Observing and assisting patient care
- Healthcare opportunities to suit interns experience
Types of host organizations:
- Small medical clinics within other organizations (school clinics, pain management clinics, assisted living facility clinics, etc.)
Keen to get started?
Taking the first step is easy! It is free to apply and takes just 5 minutes.Submit an application
It’s free to apply for this internship. Once we have reviewed your suitability and accepted you onto this program, you’ll need to pay a deposit of US$449 to confirm your place. The remaining balance of your Program Fee (less your initial US$449 deposit payment) will be due no less than 60 days before your internship start date.
|Internship Duration||Program Fee (USD)|
|2 weeks||2 weeks||$1,357|
|3 weeks||3 weeks||$1,635|
|4 weeks||4 weeks||$1,913|
|5 weeks||5 weeks||$2,021|
|6 weeks||6 weeks||$2,130|
|8 weeks||8 weeks||$2,349|
|10 weeks||10 weeks||$2,522|
|12 weeks||12 weeks||$2,695|
|16 weeks||16 weeks||$3,042|
|20 weeks||20 weeks||$3,388|
|24 weeks||24 weeks||$3,735|