Build your practical medical knowledge on a Medical internship in Tanzania, shadowing and assisting local doctors and nurses in clinics and hospitals. This is a perfect internship for medical students who are more advanced in their studies, where you will learn from experienced professionals and help patients in a range of healthcare departments.
This is an in-country internship, with accommodation and meals provided.
Medical internships in Arusha, Tanzania, provide opportunities for interns to develop your practical understanding of healthcare to add to your theoretical knowledge. Interns can be placed in hospitals and healthcare clinics, where you’ll shadow and assist local medical professionals in their daily routines.
Medical internship placements are available in general wards, as well as highly specialized departments including:
- Outpatient clinics
- Children’s wards
- Medical community outreach
- HIV outpatients
- Mental health services
Interns with a desire for placements in a specific field should include details in your application. These will be accommodated wherever possible, but are subject to availability.
It’s important for medical interns to be prepared for a very different healthcare system than what you may be used to at home. Healthcare in Tanzania can be under-resourced and under-funded, and patients may endure conditions that would be considered rare or unacceptable in your own home country.
While you may encounter culture shock, it is important to remain professional and compassionate at all times. You’ll be encouraged to consider your supervisor and in-country coordinator as valuable and knowledgeable resources and mentors. They’re in the best position to provide guidance and local context into the needs and challenges of the local community, and will be happy to support your learning experience throughout this internship abroad.
Due to the unpredictable nature of patient flow in clinics and hospitals, interns should note that the timing of treatments can be irregular. This means that there will be days which are very busy, as well as slower days if patient workload is lighter. Interns should be adaptable, proactive and willing to help where it’s needed. You will be welcome to discuss your schedule at all times throughout the internship, should you wish to pick up any extra hours. This is subject to availability and must always be discussed with your in-country coordinator, who would facilitate any necessary arrangements for you.
This internship is conducted in English. Some patient interactions may be carried out in local languages, but your supervisor will be available to debrief these sessions in English with you afterwards.
Outside of your internship, you’ll have the opportunity to discover for yourself why Tanzania is one of Africa’s most popular tourist destinations. The country is well-known for nature and adventure tourism, particularly its incredible safaris and wildlife reserves. People come from all over the world to visit Mount Kilimanjaro, Serengeti National Park, and the golden beaches of Zanzibar. Your in-country internship coordinator will assist you in advance to arrange day trips or longer excursions (such as multi-day safari adventures). If you’re planning your internship in Tanzania, don’t miss the opportunity to schedule an itinerary that incorporates these wonderful, unforgettable attractions.
It is important to note that the internship placements grouped as “Medical” require interns to make a Ministry of Health contribution. This supports the operation of placements and covers supervision for interns on medical-related placements. This contribution is not included in the internship program fee; it must be made directly, in-country, under the direction and guidance of the Program Coordinator in Arusha. Interns will not be permitted to commence their placement until this has been covered. The amount of the Ministry of Health contribution varies, as it is not the same for every clinic/hospital. However, to cover the contribution sufficiently, we ask interns to budget up to US$75 per week.
Medical interns learn from a qualified and experienced supervisor, and can be involved in:
- Shadowing and assisting doctors in routine duties
- Providing clerical support
Professional development opportunities:
- Build your practical knowledge of treatments for a range of complaints
- Learn about the provision of healthcare in an under-resourced environment
- Learn from experienced doctors and medical professionals
- Understand the daily routines of doctors in hospitals and clinics
- Enhance your cultural intelligence, as it pertains to healthcare
- Gain practical skills and boost your employability, with guidance from Intern Abroad HQ’s Experiential Learning Curriculum to support your learning and cultural intelligence.
- Monday to Friday, 9am - 5pm
- Gain practical healthcare skills learning from experienced medical professionals
- Build your medical understanding in specific medical departments of interest to you
- Enjoy spare time in Arusha, go on safari in the Serengeti, and explore world famous natural landscapes
Types of host organizations:
- Medical clinics
Keen to get started?
Taking the first step is easy! It is free to apply and takes just 5 minutes.Submit an application
It’s free to apply for this internship. Once we have reviewed your suitability and accepted you onto this program, you’ll need to pay a deposit of US$449 to confirm your place. The remaining balance of your Program Fee (less your initial US$449 deposit payment) will be due no less than 60 days before your internship start date.
Program Fee (USD)
|2 weeks||$1,284Equivalent to $91/day|
|3 weeks||$1,389Equivalent to $66/day|
|4 weeks||$1,494Equivalent to $53/day|
|5 weeks||$1,599Equivalent to $45/day|
|6 weeks||$1,704Equivalent to $40/day|
|7 weeks||$1,809Equivalent to $36/day|
|8 weeks||$1,914Equivalent to $34/day|
|10 weeks||$2,124Equivalent to $30/day|
|12 weeks||$2,334Equivalent to $27/day|
Program Fee (USD)
|2 weeks||$1,384Equivalent to $98/day|
|3 weeks||$1,489Equivalent to $70/day|
|4 weeks||$1,594Equivalent to $56/day|
|5 weeks||$1,699Equivalent to $48/day|
|6 weeks||$1,804Equivalent to $42/day|
|7 weeks||$1,909Equivalent to $38/day|
|8 weeks||$2,014Equivalent to $35/day|
|10 weeks||$2,224Equivalent to $31/day|
|12 weeks||$2,434Equivalent to $28/day|
- 24/7 in-country support
- Airport pick-up
- Program orientation
- Dedicated support before, during, and after your internship
- In-country guidance for social and tourist activities
- Sourcing and securing your internship placement
- Personalization of your internship plan
- Coaching from your supervisor
- Documented portfolio of your experiential learnings
- International reference letter
- Certificate of Internship Completion
- Visa (if required), flights, travel insurance (mandatory), vaccinations, criminal background check
- Transfer back to the airport at the end of your internship program
- Optional extras, such as language lessons
- Souvenirs and leisure activities during your free time
- Personal spending money to cover basic expenses such as drinks, snacks, laundry, public transportation, and any meals not included in your Program Fee
- A deposit of $449 USD is required to secure your internship
- It is important to note that the internship placements grouped as "Medical" require interns to make a Ministry of Health contribution. This supports the operation of placements and covers supervision for interns on medical-related placements. This contribution is not included in the internship program fee; it must be made directly, in-country, under the direction and guidance of the Program Coordinator in Arusha. Interns will not be permitted to commence their placement until this has been covered. The amount of the Ministry of Health contribution varies, as it is not the same for every clinic/hospital. However, to cover the contribution sufficiently, we ask interns to budget up to US$75 per week.
- Balance of your Program Fee is due 60 days before your internship start date.
- All payments attract a 5% transaction fee to cover international banking fees and currency charges.
- Terms and Conditions apply.