Medical internships in Spain are perfect for pre-med and undergraduate students looking to gain international healthcare experience. Interns are placed in private hospitals or clinics, or non-profit health centers in the Valencia region and assist and learn from local doctors and nurses with daily consultations, examinations and treatments.
This is an in-country internship that includes accommodation and meals.
As a Medical intern in Spain, you’ll gain a first hand insight into life as a healthcare professional. Interns are closely guided by local medical professionals, providing the chance to learn firsthand, build your practical skills, and develop experience from real life consultations and treatments.
Internship placements are available in a wide range of hospitals, departments and clinics around the vibrant coastal city of Valencia. Your role as an intern is customized by our team with your own skills, experience and interests in mind. Interns looking for experience in a particular field of healthcare should include details in your application, so that we can guide you accordingly. Please note that special requests are subject to availability.
While your role as an intern can vary based on your level of experience and study, your tasks and responsibilities will primarily involve assisting, observing, and shadowing across a range of daily situations, including patient consultations and treatments, medical administration, test evaluation and examinations, treatment establishment and follow ups. Interns can also help to design and improve various processes, as well as assist with ongoing research and teaching projects.
In all aspects of your internship activities, interns must prioritize the goal of improving the health of patients, while adhering to the standards and regulations of your internship placement. Interns should not expect to be directly “hands on” with patients, and should cooperate with their supervisor, according to the needs of the placement and its patients/clients. It is important to be prepared for a language barrier, as most patient interactions will be conducted in Spanish, although your supervisor will speak English. Your supervisor will provide opportunities to debrief following sessions, ensuring you are able to follow the work as it is conducted.
This internship is conducted in English but if you have Spanish language skills your internship supervisor will be glad to help you practice and hone them during the placement. All internship orientations in Valencia include introductory Spanish language lessons, which are fun and social. You can arrange to continue Spanish language lessons during your internship, if you wish to develop your skills, and this can be coordinated in-country.
Valencia is a popular tourist city on Spain’s south-eastern Mediterranean Coast. It’s well known for its historic old town and relaxed way of life. In recent years, Valencia has established itself as a fantastic hub for culture and enterprise. While the city is broadly celebrated for its modern City of Arts and Sciences Museum, it’s an equally desirable destination if you love the outdoors, excellent cuisine and fantastic weather!
Medical interns learn from a qualified and experienced supervisor, and can be involved in:
- Assisting with patient care and treatment in a range of specialist or general departments
- Observing and shadowing consultations
- Medical testing and test evaluation
- Collaborating on research and teaching projects
- Assisting with general administrative tasks
Professional development opportunities:
- Gain first hand understanding of patient consultation procedures
- Build communication skills and understand patient relationship management
- Observe and assist with medical techniques, tests and treatments
- Learn from trained and experienced medical professionals in Spain
- Gain familiarity with modern healthcare systems in action
- Practice and hone Spanish language skills
- Gain practical skills and boost your employability, with guidance from Intern Abroad HQ’s Experiential Learning Curriculum to support your learning and cultural intelligence.
- Monday to Friday, 9am - 5pm
- Assisting medical professionals with patient care and gaining a real world insight into treatments and therapies
- Gain practical experience on a customized internship in a medical field of interest to you
- Enjoy traveling and living in Valencia, with easy access to wider Spain and the Mediterranean
Types of host organizations:
- Private hospitals and clinics
- Outpatient clinics
- Non-profit health centers
Keen to get started?
Taking the first step is easy! It is free to apply and takes just 5 minutes.Submit an application
It’s free to apply for this internship. Once we have reviewed your suitability and accepted you onto this program, you’ll need to pay a deposit of US$449 to confirm your place. The remaining balance of your Program Fee (less your initial US$449 deposit payment) will be due no less than 60 days before your internship start date.
|Internship Duration||Program Fee (USD)|
|2 weeks||2 weeks||$2,209|
|3 weeks||3 weeks||$2,434|
|4 weeks||4 weeks||$2,659|
|5 weeks||5 weeks||$2,884|
|6 weeks||6 weeks||$3,109|
|8 weeks||8 weeks||$3,559|
|10 weeks||10 weeks||$4,009|
|12 weeks||12 weeks||$4,459|
|16 weeks||16 weeks||$5,359|
|20 weeks||20 weeks||$6,259|
|24 weeks||24 weeks||$7,159|
European students who wish to receive Erasmus funding for their internship in Spain are encouraged to apply and outline their specific requirements.