Fantastic internships for pre-med and undergraduate medical students, where interns shadow and assist qualified medical professionals in hospitals or clinics in Valencia. Internships are customized to suit your experience and interests, and offer a real-life insight into health in an environment that’s relevant to your career.
This is an in-country internship that includes accommodation and meals.
Physician’s Assistant interns in Spain gain highly valuable, practical experience into what life is like as a medical professional. Interns shadow and assist practicing physicians, doctors and nurses in private hospitals and clinics, observing patient consultations and treatments, test evaluation and examinations, treatment establishment and follow ups. You can also assist with medical administrative tasks.
Interns can learn a range of assessment and treatment techniques by observing them in practice. It’s important to note that unqualified interns are unlikely to play a hands-on role, and your learning will come mostly from observing your supervisor.
These internships are customized to suit you, so your exact role will depend on your own skills, experience, Spanish language ability and the length of your internship. If you’d like to gain experience in a particular field of healthcare, please include details in your application. Requests will be accommodated wherever possible, but are subject to availability.
This internship is conducted in English and Spanish language proficiency is not a requirement to join. However, interns should expect that a language barrier can still be encountered to a certain extent. Interns should be prepared for the very natural and normal frustration of not always understanding what is being said around them. Come prepared and willing to surmount a language barrier (and ask for help when needed), as opposed to being intimidated by it. Bear in mind that internships in Spain include five introductory Spanish language lessons, which are provided during the orientation period. Any additional Spanish language lessons must be coordinated and paid for separately. We encourage all interns to take advantage of the opportunity to learn some Spanish skills during their program (or develop their existing vocabulary).
Valencia is a popular tourist city on Spain’s south-eastern Mediterranean Coast. It’s well known for its historic old town and relaxed way of life. In recent years, Valencia has established itself as a fantastic hub for culture and enterprise. While the city is broadly celebrated for its modern City of Arts and Sciences Museum, it’s an equally desirable destination if you love the outdoors, excellent cuisine and fantastic weather!
Medical interns learn from a qualified and experienced supervisor, and can be involved in:
- Assisting with patient care and treatment in a range of specialist or general departments
- Observing and shadowing patient consultations
- Medical testing and test evaluation
- Collaborating on research and teaching projects
- Assisting with administrative tasks
Professional development opportunities:
- Gain first hand understanding of patient consultation procedures
- Build communication skills and understand patient relationship management
- Observe and assist with medical techniques, tests and treatments
- Learn from trained and experienced medical professionals in Spain
- Gain familiarity with modern healthcare systems in action
- Practice and hone your Spanish language skills
- Gain practical skills and boost your employability, with guidance from Intern Abroad HQ’s Experiential Learning Curriculum to support your learning and cultural intelligence.
- Monday to Friday, 9am - 5pm
- Assisting medical professionals with patient care and gaining a real world insight into treatments and therapies
- Gain practical experience on a customized internship in a medical field of interest to you
- Enjoy traveling and living in Valencia, with easy access to wider Spain and the Mediterrenean
Types of host organizations:
- Private hospitals and clinics
- Out-patient clinics
- Non-profit health centers
Keen to get started?
Taking the first step is easy! It is free to apply and takes just 5 minutes.Submit an application
It’s free to apply for this internship. Once we have reviewed your suitability and accepted you onto this program, you’ll need to pay a deposit of US$449 to confirm your place. The remaining balance of your Program Fee (less your initial US$449 deposit payment) will be due no less than 60 days before your internship start date.
|Internship Duration||Program Fee (USD)|
|2 weeks||2 weeks||$2,209|
|3 weeks||3 weeks||$2,434|
|4 weeks||4 weeks||$2,659|
|5 weeks||5 weeks||$2,884|
|6 weeks||6 weeks||$3,109|
|8 weeks||8 weeks||$3,559|
|10 weeks||10 weeks||$4,009|
|12 weeks||12 weeks||$4,459|
|16 weeks||16 weeks||$5,359|
|20 weeks||20 weeks||$6,259|
|24 weeks||24 weeks||$7,159|
European students who wish to receive Erasmus funding for their internship in Spain are encouraged to apply and outline their specific requirements.