Medical internships in Athens offer valuable learning experiences in public and private hospitals and clinics, with state-of-the-art technology and modern healthcare practices. Interns shadow and assist local medical professionals and rotate through a range of medical departments to gain practical knowledge and broad experience in European healthcare.
This is an in-country internship, with accommodation provided.
As an intern, you’ll work closely with experienced medical professionals, such as doctors, surgeons and nurses, to gain genuine understanding of healthcare in action. Internships are fantastic learning environments to gain experience from trained medical staff as they go about their daily duties, across various departments or specialist areas.
Many medical professionals within Greece have studied and/or spent time working abroad (such as in the US or UK). Professionals have excellent English proficiency and interns are unlikely to experience language barriers with their supervisors or within medical teams.
As these internships are educational in nature, interns should not expect to work “hands on” with patients. Your supervisor will always take your current level of experience and abilities into consideration, along with your areas of medical interest, when engaging with you to support and customize your internship experience.
Medical interns will have a rotation roster to diversify the experience and gain understanding across numerous departments. These can include:
- Emergency Room
- General Surgery
- Intensive Care Unit
- Nuclear Medicine
- Orofacial Surgery
- Orthopedic Surgery
- Pathologic Anatomy
Interns are able to request an internship schedule that includes particular departments of interest (e.g. orthopedic surgery, cardiology, hematology, etc.). Although requests are always subject to availability, your supervisors within the medical team will do their utmost to ensure your experience is related closely to your studies and goals as a future professional.
Medical interns in Greece have weekends free to enjoy sightseeing around Athens and further afield. Greece offers a laid back Mediterranean lifestyle, with hundreds of stunning beaches and world-class tourist attractions such as the Acropolis to explore in your spare time.
This internship is conducted in English.
Medical interns learn from a qualified and experienced supervisor, and can be involved in:
- Shadowing and assisting local doctors, nurses and medical specialists in Athens
- Observing healthcare across a range of medical departments
- Learning from experienced local medical professionals, using contemporary techniques and state-of-the-art technology
Professional development opportunities:
- Observe medical consultations, treatments and surgeries
- Experience how a modern state-of-the-art hospital works
- Learn how the medical system works in Greece
- Network with experienced doctors & medical professionals
- Gain experience across multiple medical specialties
- Gain practical skills and boost your employability, with guidance from Intern Abroad HQ’s Experiential Learning Curriculum to support your learning and cultural intelligence.
- 8am-5pm, five days per week. Occasionally your supervisor may invite you to optionally observe a procedure during a weekend, should it be relevant to your interests and internship experience.
- Learn about modern healthcare from qualified professionals in genuine environments
- Gain sought-after professional skills & experience in a range of departments
- Experience the popular attractions and lifestyle in Athens and wider Greece
Types of host organizations:
- General hospitals
- Specialist hospitals
- Day clinics
Keen to get started?
Taking the first step is easy! It is free to apply and takes just 5 minutes.Submit an application
It’s free to apply for this internship. Once we have reviewed your suitability and accepted you onto this program, you’ll need to pay a deposit of US$449 to confirm your place. The remaining balance of your Program Fee (less your initial US$449 deposit payment) will be due no less than 60 days before your internship start date.
|Internship Duration||Program Fee (USD)|
It is important to note that internships in Athens do not include meals and interns should budget to cover this Independently. Kitchen facilities are provided in all accommodation for independent meal preparation. Internships in Greece are provided through an organization which is accredited to run projects under Erasmus+. European students are encouraged to speak with their local Erasmus office regarding funding and grant opportunities for their internship.