Physician’s Assistant internships in Peru are perfect for medical students wanting a first-hand experience of healthcare in the stunning city of Cusco. Interns are placed in clinics, shadowing and assisting local doctors and nurses in a range of departments.
This is an in-country internship, with accommodation and meals provided.
Interns are placed in general practice primary health centers, which form part of the Peruvian Ministry of Health’s program for supporting the unemployed. The centers provide all manner of general health services, and also have specialist departments in psychology, gynecology, dentistry, and laboratory.
Physician’s Assistant interns typically observe and assist doctors, assist with laboratory work, and can help nurses with taking patient’s weight, height, and administering vaccinations. Health campaigns are occasionally held throughout the year as well.
Interns who spend four weeks or more on the program can have the option of diversifying their experience, by combining time at a public clinic with time at a private clinic or social work project as well. You can also assist on medical outreach campaigns, providing basic healthcare such as vaccinations. These can be arranged with your local team in Cusco.
Fully qualified or advanced medical students are encouraged to organize workshops at social education programs, bringing healthcare education to the community.
All Physician’s Assistant interns must bring their own scrubs and evidence of their level of education.
Cusco is world-renowned as the closest city to Machu Picchu, Peru’s most popular tourist attraction. It’s a city for adventurous travelers that enjoy the outdoors, particularly hiking and photography. There are plenty of world-class walks to explore in your spare time, and Cusco also offers a unique culturally immersive experience that’s perfect for outgoing interns!
Physician’s Assistant interns learn from a qualified and experienced supervisor, and can be involved in:
- Shadow and assist doctors and nurses in medical clinics
- Learning about general medical care, as well as specialist work in psychology, gynecology, dentistry, and laboratory
- Support in administrative work
- Organize and run health workshops and campaigns in the community
Professional development opportunities:
- Practice and develop Spanish language proficiency within a professional setting
- Learn and understand healthcare in Peru
- Gain understanding from local doctors and nurses
- Experience how healthcare is provided to people from disadvantaged backgrounds
- Gain practical skills and boost your employability, with guidance from Intern Abroad HQ’s Experiential Learning Curriculum to support your learning and cultural intelligence.
- Monday - Friday, 4 hours per day
- Assist in medical clinics providing healthcare to disadvantaged communities
- Receive dedicated guidance and individual learning from experienced professionals
- Experience Cusco, one of the world’s most popular tourism cities
Types of host organizations:
- Medical clinics
Keen to get started?
Taking the first step is easy! It is free to apply and takes just 5 minutes.Submit an application
It’s free to apply for this internship. Once we have reviewed your suitability and accepted you onto this program, you’ll need to pay a deposit of US$449 to confirm your place. The remaining balance of your Program Fee (less your initial US$449 deposit payment) will be due no less than 60 days before your internship start date.
|Internship Duration||Program Fee (USD)|
|2 weeks||2 weeks||$994|
|3 weeks||3 weeks||$1,129|
|4 weeks||4 weeks||$1,264|
|5 weeks||5 weeks||$1,399|
|6 weeks||6 weeks||$1,534|
|8 weeks||8 weeks||$1,804|
|10 weeks||10 weeks||$2,074|
|12 weeks||12 weeks||$2,344|
|16 weeks||16 weeks||$2,884|
|20 weeks||20 weeks||$3,424|
|24 weeks||24 weeks||$3,964|
Please note: The medical internship programs (Physician’s Assistant, Dentistry, Midwifery, Psychology and Physiotherapy) have an extra surcharge of US$15 per week, for extra supervision, materials and logistics involved. This amount will be included in the Program Fee quoted to you when you apply.