This is a great internship in entrepreneurship for those wanting insight into being an entrepreneur and starting new businesses. Interns gain valuable and transferable skills, working alongside owners of innovative new ventures across a broad range of industries. Learn about challenges and creative solutions to prepare your exciting career in business!
This is an in-country internship, with accommodation provided.
Startup Entrepreneurship internships in South Africa offer an exclusive chance for business-minded interns to learn from professional entrepreneurs, helping them to grow their start up companies from an early stage. You’ll learn hands-on skills and extremely valuable lessons while you gain insight into what it’s actually like to start and grow new business ventures.
Interns can be placed with full-time, innovation-oriented companies or entrepreneurial social ventures within a range of industries, including finance, green energy, information technology, management and social entrepreneurship. You can also be placed in the public sector within NGOs that focus on giving women and young people supplementary education such as financial literacy classes.
Due to the broad scope of this internship field, a customized approach is taken toward matching each intern to your best placement opportunity. Examples of internship activities may include (but may not be limited to):
- Lead generation campaigns
- Market research and evaluating potential partnership opportunities
- Digital marketing campaigns to stimulate growth through online platforms
Interns collaborate directly with your project leader in order to coordinate tasks and planning. You’re encouraged to bring your own laptop.
During your weekends in Cape Town, you can visit the District Six Museum, Robben Island, and the Zeitz Museum of Contemporary Art Africa. These excellent sites can provide more understanding of South Africa’s history, to deepen the immersive and educational experience of your internship. There are also beautiful scenic attractions that you won’t want to miss - whether hiking Table Mountain, Signal Hill or Lion’s Head for panoramic views of the city, relaxing on the beaches, or meandering along the Garden Route to visit wineries, you’ll find that there is never a dull moment. If you don’t want to visit Africa without planning a safari, let us know! Our team in Cape Town will help you arrange an ethical, responsible and unforgettable tour.
This internship is conducted in English.
Start Up Entrepreneurship interns learn from a qualified and experienced supervisor, and can be involved in:
- Conducting market research to find growth opportunities and potential partnerships
- Developing and implementing digital marketing campaigns
- Growing businesses through lead generation techniques
- Delivering business and financial education programs
Professional development opportunities:
- Learn from entrepreneurs and business owners
- Develop and understanding of different strategies to grow start up businesses
- Learn how to attract new customers to a business
- Gain understanding of business challenges and solutions in specific industries
- Grow your communication skills in business or teaching
- Gain practical skills and boost your employability, with guidance from Intern Abroad HQ’s Experiential Learning Curriculum to support your learning and cultural intelligence.
- Monday to Friday, 9am - 4pm
- Gain a real life understanding into how entrepreneurs grow start up businesses
- Learn about common challenges and solutions for start ups and entrepreneurs
- Enjoy spare time exploring the unique and eclectic city of Cape Town, and wider South Africa
Types of host organizations:
Keen to get started?
Taking the first step is easy! It is free to apply and takes just 5 minutes.Submit an application
It’s free to apply for this internship. Once we have reviewed your suitability and accepted you onto this program, you’ll need to pay a deposit of US$449 to confirm your place. The remaining balance of your Program Fee (less your initial US$449 deposit payment) will be due no less than 60 days before your internship start date.
Program Fee (USD)
|2 weeks||$1,418Equivalent to $101/day|
|3 weeks||$1,556Equivalent to $74/day|
|4 weeks||$1,694Equivalent to $60/day|
|5 weeks||$1,832Equivalent to $52/day|
|6 weeks||$1,970Equivalent to $46/day|
|8 weeks||$2,246Equivalent to $40/day|
|10 weeks||$2,729Equivalent to $38/day|
|12 weeks||$3,005Equivalent to $35/day|
|16 weeks||$3,557Equivalent to $31/day|
|20 weeks||$4,109Equivalent to $29/day|
|24 weeks||$4,661Equivalent to $27/day|
- 24/7 in-country support
- Airport pick-up
- Program orientation
- Dedicated support before, during, and after your internship
- In-country guidance for social and tourist activities
- Sourcing and securing your internship placement
- Personalization of your internship plan
- Coaching from your supervisor
- Documented portfolio of your experiential learnings
- International reference letter
- Certificate of Internship Completion
- Visa (if required), flights, travel insurance (mandatory), vaccinations, criminal background check
- Transfer back to the airport at the end of your internship program
- Optional extras, such as language lessons
- Souvenirs and leisure activities during your free time
- Personal spending money to cover basic expenses such as drinks, snacks, laundry, public transportation, and any meals not included in your Program Fee
- A deposit of $449 USD is required to secure your internship
- Balance of your Program Fee is due 60 days before your internship start date.
- All payments attract a 5% transaction fee to cover international banking fees and currency charges.
- Terms and Conditions apply.