Human Rights & NGO Support
Virtual internships in NGOs provide the opportunity to learn about disadvantaged communities in Italy and how they are supported. Interns assist with education and fundraising for migrants, women and children. You can also conduct research that raises awareness of common issues for these communities and gain valuable advocacy experience.
- Gain understanding of how to support and advocate for vulnerable communities
- Develop experience assisting a specific community with their needs
- Gain international experience while interning remotely from home without having to travel
Type of host organizations:
- Law studios
- Private companies
These virtual internships with NGOs provide the opportunity to learn about disadvantaged communities in Italy and how they are supported. Interns assist with education and fundraising for migrants, women and children. You can also conduct research that raises awareness of common issues for these communities and gain valuable advocacy experience.
This is a remote internship you can undertake virtually from home. Click here to view in-country Law & Human Rights Support internships, if you would prefer to intern abroad.
As a Human Rights and NGO Support intern, you’ll gain valuable experience to learn how organizations work to improve the wellbeing and prospects of those who are disadvantaged. Such real-world experience is vital if you’re interested in international development, community support, social work, or other fields dedicated to the alleviation of inequality.
Virtual interns can be placed in a range of NGOs that advocate for disadvantaged people, where you’ll learn about the backgrounds and situations of different people. This knowledge and the experience you’ll gain assisting people to overcome their challenges is extremely valuable for careers in human rights, advocacy and non profits.
Remote interns play an important behind the scenes role that enables local staff in Italy to deliver programs and initiatives directly to the communities they support. Your placement organization can focus on a range of specific areas such as education, food support, housing, job support, legal advocacy and more. They commonly assist migrants from North Africa, as well as vulnerable women and children in the cities of Rome, Florence, and other Italian regions.
Your remote internship role can vary based on the priorities of the NGO and any particular projects that are being initiated. Interns can typically:
- Help with ongoing research projects which are in line with the mission and objectives of the NGO
- Run crowdfunding campaigns to assist fundraising efforts and raise awareness about the goals of the organization and outcomes of their projects
- Prepare resources and reports for internal administration, as well as for information that can be supported to donors or other stakeholders
- Translate reports into English, to support the communications requirements of the NGO
In addition, interns are able to support activities that are related to education through the development of educational resources which are distributed by NGOs. For example, worksheets, exercises and lessons for students. Students can range in age from children to adults, and classes focus on developing literacy (for all ages, including adults) and English language lessons that help them to improve their chances of finding employment. Interns who can speak Italian are also able to assist with Italian language lessons or the development of resources in Italian.
Subject to availability, remote interns can also support law firms which operate to provide legal advocacy for people involved in a range of disputes, campaigns and issues.
As a virtual intern, you’ll be in regular contact with local staff via email and online meetings. Your experienced supervisor will provide assistance and feedback, and help to monitor your progress.
Human Rights & NGO Support interns learn from a qualified and experienced supervisor, and can be involved in:
Researching reports into vulnerable communities in Italy
Conducting crowdfunding campaigns
Preparing resources for local staff
Supporting educational activities
Professional development opportunities:
Gain an understanding of the backgrounds and needs of disadvantaged communities in Italy
Build storytelling skills that engage the public, raise awareness and secure funds
Develop research and report writing skills
Learn how to advocate for people in a legal context
Gain practical skills and boost your employability, with guidance from Intern Abroad HQ’s Experiential Learning Curriculum to support your learning and cultural intelligence.
Academic credit available for all internships
Gain course credit from your college or university and meet your academic requirements when completing an internship abroad or remote internship program with Intern Abroad HQ.Learn about course credit
It’s free to apply for this internship. Once we have reviewed your suitability and accepted you onto this program, you’ll need to pay a deposit of US$449 to confirm your place. The remaining balance of your Program Fee (less your initial US$449 deposit payment) will be due within 7 days of being assigned a placement.
Program Fee (USD)
|100 hours (3 weeks full time, or 5 weeks part time)||$948|
|250 hours (8 weeks full time, or 12 weeks part time)||$1,348|
|350 hours (13 weeks full time, or 17 weeks part time)||$1,648|
- Dedicated support before, during, and after your internship
- Sourcing and securing your internship placement
- Personalization of your internship plan
- Orientation and coaching with your supervisor
- Documented portfolio of your experiential learnings
- Academic credit facilitation
- International reference letter
- Certificate of Internship Completion
- A deposit of $449 USD is required to secure your internship
- Balance of your Program Fee is due within 7 days of being assigned a placement.
- All payments attract a 5% transaction fee to cover international banking fees and currency charges.
- International wire transfer payments attract a minimum fee of $75 USD.
- Terms and Conditions apply.
Get inspired with these related intern success stories & guidesRead more inspiring stories
Other internships you may be interested in
Environmental Law out of Greece
Human Rights & Anti-Racism out of Israel
LGBT & Minority Rights out of Morocco
NGO Human Rights out of Morocco
Refugee & Migrant Rights out of Morocco
Legal Practice out of Spain
Legal Advocacy & Rights Education out of Tanzania
Legal Support for Human Rights Advocacy out of Tanzania
Legal Practice out of USA