Based with advocacy firms in Tanzania but participating remotely, interns gain real-world experience assisting a multi-functional team of lawyers that specialize in advocating for disadvantaged people and communities. Interns assist with trial preparation, providing legal advice and helping locals navigate their own legal issues.
This is a remote internship conducted in English that you can conduct from home.
Remote interns assist local lawyers in Arusha, and can help with every aspect of the legal advocacy they provide to disadvantaged people, including vulnerable women and children. You can help with preparing court documents, legal interviews, and researching complex legal issues. These are real-life cases, where your assistance is highly valued by people who genuinely need it.
Interns also get an insight into working in a very busy legal practice. You can learn how challenging caseloads are managed and experience how attorneys champion for justice and advocate for the rights of disadvantaged people. You’ll support and assist local attorneys and advocates in a wide range of areas, helping them to increase their capacity and take on more clients.
In addition to supporting law firms, virtual interns can also assist with running women’s empowerment projects in Tanzania. Weekend group sessions aim to support women and girls by teaching them new skills, building relationships and providing them with education they may have missed out on. Interns can help locals with anything that’s needed to prepare and run these sessions, and your role can be customized if you have a preference for a particular kind of work. If you’re interested, details can be discussed with your internship supervisor.
This internship is conducted in English.
Advocacy & Rights Education interns learn from a qualified and experienced supervisor, and can be involved in:
- Helping to prepare clients for court cases
- Helping clients to understand complex legal issues
- Helping with community disputes such as land and family inheritance issues
- Advocating for women who have been the victims of domestic violence, honor violence and assault
- Researching human rights issues and writing content for human rights resources
- Producing content for educational material advocating for disadvantaged people
Professional development opportunities:
- Gain insight into how disadvantaged communities access fair representation
- Learn about inequality and the impact it has on people’s lives
- Experience what’s required to prepare for court cases
- Produce educational content to educate the community and empower people with legal knowledge to self advance
- Gain practical skills and boost your employability, with guidance from Intern Abroad HQ’s Experiential Learning Curriculum to support your learning and cultural intelligence.
- As a remote intern, you’ll have the flexibility to work to a schedule that suits both you and your supervisor. Your schedule will need to accommodate online meetings with your supervisor when it’s required, so there will be times where you’ll need to be available during office hours in Tanzania.
- Get insight and knowledge from experienced legal advocates
- Contribute to the legal battles of disadvantaged people
- Benefit from abundant learning opportunities including the opportunity to conduct independent study and research on the field
- Gain practical career experience from home without having to travel
Types of host organizations:
- Legal advocacy firms
Keen to get started?
Taking the first step is easy! It is free to apply and takes just 5 minutes.Submit an application
It’s free to apply for this internship. Once we have reviewed your suitability and accepted you onto this program, you’ll need to pay a deposit of US$449 to confirm your place. The remaining balance of your Program Fee (less your initial US$449 deposit payment) will be due within 7 days of being assigned a placement.
|Internship Duration||Program Fee (USD)|
|100 hours (3 weeks full time, or 5 weeks part time)||100 hour options||$948|
|250 hours (8 weeks full time, or 12 weeks part time)||250 hour options||$1,348|
|350 hours (13 weeks full time, or 17 weeks part time)||350 hour options||$1,648|