Conduct online research, marketing and usability testing to support the development of an app that informs users about parks and wilderness areas around the United States. Interns collate information on parks’ features and attractions, contribute to a global database, and develop new app features and marketing campaigns to drive visitors and create local employment opportunities.
This is a remote internship you can conduct from home.
This Ecotourism Research and Marketing internship is perfect for anyone passionate about the great outdoors and looking to gain practical experience in tourism marketing and contribute to a highly entrepreneurial app. Interns collaborate with developers in New York who are building an app to encourage nature tourism at parks all across the U.S.
The app you’ll be contributing to is in the startup phase and will eventually be a significant resource for park features and attractions across more than 250,000 protected areas worldwide. It is a searchable, location-based app that serves as a comprehensive source of park information, matching each user’s outdoor recreational interests with park activities and amenities. The app user can also offer feedback on their personal experience at a park, add images, and connect with other park visitors. The app is intended to enhance and increase park visitation rates, supporting admission revenues and other fees that help administrators to further their biodiversity and conservation efforts, and improve employment opportunities.
The app’s current stage of development requires the population of content for each park and wilderness area. Interns conduct research and analysis of online and published resources to extract information for all the parks in-scope that will be useful for app users when visiting each park. The team is currently researching parks in the U.S. but will expand to provide global cover as the database grows, collaborating on Excel spreadsheets.
Depending when you join the project as an intern, you’ll assist with research and data collection to create a database of information about national parks, state parks, county and municipal parks, wilderness areas, and marine sanctuaries, initially in the U.S., then expanding to cover other countries. Interns will be asked to assess app features, helping to refine its functionality and improve the user experience. You can also contribute to marketing the app to potential users and promoting nature tourism around the world.
As a remote intern, you’ll need to be a self-starter that enjoys working in teams. Your supervisor will task you with specific parks and areas to collect information on and you’ll contribute according to an agreed schedule to compile relevant information. You’ll gain practical research skills, as well as gain expertise in database maintenance, app design and development, and internet business models.
Ecotourism Research and Marketing interns learn from a qualified and experienced supervisor, and can be involved in:
- Data collection and analysis
- Online research
- Spreadsheet/database management
- App design and development
- Assessment of app features
- App marketing
Professional development opportunities:
- Gain online research skills
- Contribute to a growing information database
- Learn about optimizing apps for user experience
- Learn about national parks and wilderness areas in the U.S. and beyond
- Gain understanding and experience in nature tourism marketing
- Contribute to app design and development
- Gain practical skills and boost your employability, with guidance from Intern Abroad HQ’s Experiential Learning Curriculum to support your learning and cultural intelligence.
- Virtual interns have the flexibility to work to a schedule that suits both you and your supervisor. However, you will need to accommodate online meetings with your supervisor when it’s required, and at twice-weekly telephone meetings that go for one-hour, early in the evening New York Time.
- Gain experience developing an app at the startup phase
- Contribute to protecting biodiversity and nature tourism
- Learn about many of the U.S.’s best natural parks
- Learn about app user experiences and feature development
- Gain practical online research skills
- Gain international work experience while interning remotely from home without having to travel
Types of host organizations:
- Nature tourism organizations
- App designers and developers
Keen to get started?
Taking the first step is easy! It is free to apply and takes just 5 minutes.Submit an application
It’s free to apply for this internship. Once we have reviewed your suitability and accepted you onto this program, you’ll need to pay a deposit of US$449 to confirm your place. The remaining balance of your Program Fee (less your initial US$449 deposit payment) will be due within 7 days of being assigned a placement.
|Internship Duration||Program Fee (USD)|